OCR02622 - *YES* Kirby Super Star 'Chef Kawasaki's 16-bit Jazz Orchestra - Walkway of Stars'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer name: ProtoDome

Userid: 25246

Name of game arranged: Kirby Superstar

Name of song arranged: Taking Over the Halberd, Opening

Original Composer: Jun Ishikawa, Dan Miyakawa

Tasty Source:

**WARNING**

This is Milky Way Project Mix. Handle with extreme care.

If you like 8-bit, you'll feel a little disappointed, this is 16-bit. No, don't cry, grow up, the late 80's was ages ago. The early 90's is cool now.

Okay, this one is a little liberal in the way it treats the source, but it is pretty much constantly source, just SLOOOOOWWWWW'd down. Don't be afraid to put YES'. I'll accept YES (borderline) too, I'm a pretty easy-going guy.

Damn, I love Kirby.

---------------------

halc edit - full title of this track is 'Chef Kawasaki's 16-Bit Jazz Orchestra - Walkway of Stars'. Had to condense the thread title because it wouldn't fit. o.o

Proto, why must your mix names be so long? Whyyyyyy.

Anyways, regardless of the title being longer than the mix itself, you've got a nice light jazzy take on these two themes. Everything's pretty chill, and you've done some nice arrangement, as you usually do.

There's a good use of panning here which adds to the 'orchestra' feel. Sounds are obviously chip, but they are produced well, and the balance is good.

I dig.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty pleasant stuff, I really enjoyed the vibe and the vibes. Ohhhh, see what I did there?

Nice stuttering beats and a laid back and care-free arrangement that has a lot of variation and good handling of the melody and leads trading off. I wish it was a little longer, but everything that is on display is totally solid.

The guitar was a little on the fake side, but was well sequenced, and had a good room sound applied. I guess it stuck out to me in a sea of other obviously samples instruments because it sortof hit an uncanny valley.

Overall a little on the short side, but it is packed with delicious kirby power! NOM!

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

2:53 makes this song Blake's In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida. Don't you hate it when artists just feel the need to jam on and on...

Pretty neat arrangement, lot of interesting chord changes and soloing. The sound design was... ok. The Sonic drums and synths and the (intentionally?) fake guitar both left me a little underwhelmed, though got the job done. The vibe lead was expressive and helped to make up for shortcomings on the sound design front. Not my favorite ProtoDome song but over the bar.

YES

• 1 month later...

love this mix; it's one of my favorites of yours. very liberal treatment of the source stylewise, but the melodies are still there, and the cameo of the opening theme at the end was clever. love the processed SNES horns and strings. I'll agree with Vinnie and Andrew on the guitar sample being a bit of a let-down, but the sequencing was nice and detailed.

solid, creative stuff all around. 16-bit justice has been served. :nicework:

YES