*NO* Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) 'Joyful Jungle Jig'

DragonAvenger

Hey, it's been a while since my last submission! Please consider it is a bonus project track from Emunator's DKC3 project.

Contact info

Your ReMixer name: Chernabogue

Your real name: Alexandre Mourey

Your email address: chernabogue@gmail.com

Your userid: 20943

Submission info

Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country 3

Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Jungle Jitters"

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc: David Wise/SNES

Link to the original soundtrack:

ReMix title: 'Joyful Jungle Jig'

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: "While looking to the DKC3 project thread, I saw that 'Jungle Jitters' was the only track left. I looked for a Midi track and the track's bassline inspired me a lot. As it was a Donkey Kong Country track, I thought jazz and ethnic music would fit the best, but I'd never tried to make a song with such genres. 'Jungle Jitters' was a strange source, since it was composed with percussion, a few jazzy melodies and some monkey screams. Finally, the track sounds like if it was ripped from a modern Donkey Kong game, using various orchestra and ethnic samples, like the pan flute or the 'djembe' ensemble. And the acoustic bass sample comes from Emunator, the DKC3 project director himself! Thanks to him for his precious time and feedback!"

I hope everything's okay. Don't hesitate to ask me if there's a problem!

-Alex

---------------

There are a lot of pretty cool ideas, and I like the overall hectic mood of the mix. There are two spots (1:31, 2:32) that I don't think everything is lining up correctly note-wise, and is sounding off. I'd take a look at those two sections again.

Overall the sequencing is pretty mechanical, which is making a lot of this feel fake, and needs to be worked on. I also felt like sometimes you are using jazz rhythms, and then sometimes things are playing straight, which is a little confusing. Most of the sounds are pretty good, and I can tell you took some care on the different attacks.

Arrangement is pretty much there minus a couple spots, and the production needs some work, but you've got a good start here.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

A really playful rendition of the track, with some fun ideas, but I think the balance is somewhat of an issue. It feels like a huge hole right in the middle of the track, for most of the duration. The sequencing ranges from being natural and solid to super mechanical (specifically the melodic flute), so a little bit of smoothing the melody line would help.

Some of the transitions are a little weak, and the synths don't gel with the rest of the soundscape, or lack thereof. I think filling that huge cavern in the center of the track is the main focus, and then some of the humanization. Beyond that, there are a few weird accidentals in the sections Deia mentioned that should be looked at a kind. It's a very very strange modulation to take, and doesn't sound intentional.

I like this track, and think the direction you are taking it is awesome and fun, but it needs a bit more polish for OCR.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this arrangement, it was vivid and cartoony. Though I appreciate the risk taken with using synths in an orchestral setting, they didn't fit in. 1:31 was especially bad because on top of the synths not fitting, the writing sounded really dissonant and random. At 2:32, the instrument going up and down also sounded very dissonant. The song's sequencing was alright - not the weakest part of the mix, but there was room for improvement. Overall, the issues I've laid out add up and I'm gonna go NO as well. 80% of this doesn't need to change at all; the other 20% is holding it back.

NO (resubmit)