*NO* Super Mario World 'Spikes & Lava'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer name: Elyot Grant

email address: egrant@uwaterloo.ca

game(s) arranged: Super Mario World (SNES)

individual song(s) arranged: 'Sub Castle BGM'

Comments: This is an unsigned progressive house bootleg of mine that's been floating around the interwebs for some time. It has destroyed its fair share of dancefloors throughout North America and Europe in 2009 and 2010.

Somebody suggested I submit it to your site.

This is a full-length DJ-friendly track with intros and outros. The timing, production, pacing, and dynamics are consistent with that of modern progressive house music. If you enjoy the music but would prefer the build-ups in the track to proceed at a more mainstream-friendly pace, I could do a "radio edit".

Cheers, your site is great.

~ Elyot

---------------

• 2 weeks later...

Some cool ideas here, but overall it seems a little on auto-pilot for the duration. The incorporation of the original was cool at the beginning, but by the end if felt a little gimmicky. Beyond a semi-club feel, it's also a really conservative mix. The beats also felt pretty copy-pasted.

There were a few production issues sprinkled throughout as well. There is a weird click in the far left side, that isn't quite on the beat, and there are some sections that are feeling really empty.

I think definitely making this more interpretive, cleaning up some production issues, and then editing it down and it'll be ok for a resub.

No

Pretty neat idea to make this into a club track, and there are times when overall the soundscape is pretty cool. I think the track suffers from staying too close to the original, both in the sounds used and in terms of arrangement. I think there's plenty of opportunities to expand here.

I agree with Andrew that there are times where the soundscape feels empty, and those sections could be filled in better. The drumwork overall can get a bit repetitious as well, and could use more variation and/or fills.

Overall I felt that the arrangement on this sticks too close to the original, and there are some other issues holding it back.

NO

• 1 month later...

Can't add much beyond what's been said. Great production, but the song got repetitious and the source wasn't used that interpretively. Most of the time it played straight (sometimes sampled from the original) against the new beat and bass. You did do some cool stuff with the mid-range synth that played off parts of the original. A radio edit would make this a little closer to what we're looking for, but I think you'd need to go beyond that and change how the source is handled a little.

NO