ID: 16405

Game: Mario Golf

Songs: Grace's Theme, Challenge and Dormie

System: Game Boy Color

Soundtrack links:

Grace's Theme:

Challenge:

Dormie:

What's up guys? It's been a while since I last submitted a ReMix, but here it is! It's a nice li'l uplifting track that re-imagines a couple themes from one of my favorite childhood games, Mario Golf. It features a warm saw lead, progressive house plucks, cool counter melodies, riding triangle arps, and deep plucky bass, and a crunchy house beat. The first part of the track focuses on Grace's Theme with a brief cameo from 'challenge', then 'dormie' takes over at about 3:02. I thought this would be a nice touch since this is the actual progression of events in the game (dormie in match play is when a player leads by the same amount as there are holes left), and the fact that it didn't require a key change only helped the decision.

Either way, I hope you guys enjoy it and see how much I've grown as a producer since 'Breakout'!

Thanks,

----------------

- Grace Theme

- Challenge

- Dormie

• 2 weeks later...

There's some cool arrangement ideas here, but overall I think this one falls a little short. A lot of the track feels basic in terms of arrangement. You found some ideas the work well, but they get used for what feels like too long, and get run to the ground. Along with that the leads repeat without much change in them, making the overall track feel repetitive. You've got a start here for the arrangement, but you need to do more with it, lead and background alike. The ending is a bit abrupt as well, consider looking at that.

The sounds overall are also very similar throughout and are very vanilla, which doesn't help the repetitive feel. I think a lot of the sounds could be revamped here.

I like some of the arrangement ideas you have here, but it needs work in both production and arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Really pleasant soundscape here, though there is a super high end pierce to your kick that should be tamed a bit with EQ.

The lead really could use a little more life to it, It feels static on the long note, though some sections feel ok. I think switching it out for a bit would help. The compression on the master seemed a bit much too, as there was some noticeable pumping going on. I think even reducing the overall volume slightly and giving it a bit of headroom would help.

The arrangement feels really good, with some nice additions and very subtle details; there are a lot of nice builds that add up slowly.

Overall this has some great ideas a lot of promise, but I think giving the lead a little more life and adjusting the production a bit is what this needs. Very strong candidate for a resub, and a very good track overall.

No, please resubmit

Liked the arrangement here. There was a bit of repetition, but it was more a mix and match of patterns rather than any straight repeating. I agree with OA that the production was the weak point. When the first lead enters around 0:23, it gets pretty piercing, maybe because the compression is so high. Later at 2:01 when more instruments come in, it's tamed. Overall, I thought the mixing could have been cleaner and better balanced, and that probably would have solved issues like the piercing quality. The lead could have been interesting texturally, but there was a charm in having it be so simple - not a major problem for me, but was for OA and could be for others. With some of those issues resolved, this would have a strong chance to pass.

NO (resubmit)