Battle Not Alone! (Final Version)

finalfantim

Hey guys and girls,

This is my first submitted work.

I just finished my latest and final version of Battle Not Alone! A rearrangement of FINAL FANTASY IX Battle theme and Your Not Alone! A track influenced by epic soundtrack and trailer music.

I made this back in 2009 but since i had time again for one of my biggest hobbies, music, i wanted to rework this one to make it more interesting. The most challenging was balancing out the metal and orchestra part. Both volume- and melody-wise. Im very happy that i managed to keep the volume on a punchy level without destroying it with loudness (+0db)

Battle Not Alone! (Final Version)

Genre: Soundtrack (Metal, Orchestra)

Arranged by: Final FanTim

Composed by: Nobuo Uematsu

Game: FINAL FANTASY IX

Tracks: Battle Theme, Your Not Alone

Inspiration: Hans Zimmer, Thomas Bergeson (Two Steps From Hell, trailer music)

(please watch on 480p or higher quality)

Should i submit it to the OCRemix crew?

I hope you enjoy and feedback is always welcome

I enjoyed listening to this, reminded me more of a ffix melody, but yeah enjoyed the mix between orchestra and metal, and quality wise the synths sounded pretty good. The only thing I would say is that the chords that you used could have been more creative to give it a feeling more unique compared to the originals.

Also if you are the same guy, thanks for your work on the re-orchestrated ff7 stuff =)

I enjoyed listening to this, reminded me more of a ffix melody, but yeah enjoyed the mix between orchestra and metal, and quality wise the synths sounded pretty good. The only thing I would say is that the chords that you used could have been more creative to give it a feeling more unique compared to the originals.

Also if you are the same guy, thanks for your work on the re-orchestrated ff7 stuff =)

Hehe yea...guilty :P no problem, glad you like it. Comments much appreciated! I know what you mean about chord changes and such, in matter of fact i had some a few revisions back but somehow after listening...it didnt feel right. It was right before the first custom orchestra part (an action packed recap of the main melody) and right after first notes of Your Not Alone.

BTW it is a ffix melody, its the battle theme + your not alone...did i mistype FFIX? :P EDIT: apparently not.

Anyway, as a motion graphic designer i know how important layering is. Its the same principle with music. When i first made this back in 2009, the synth orchestra sounded kind of flat...now its more layered/stacked/mixed with all the instruments and ranges found in an orchestra which makes it more deep and layered.

Ooof. Sorry to break it to you, Tim, but this isn't sounding so hot.

A lot of the problem is coming from the guitar. For the most part, the orchestral section seems fairly tight. But that synth guitar sounds like you pulled some baaad FL Slayer presets. It plays one tone at one volume: no dynamics at all, which is a terrible thing for a lead. It's hurting the song quite a bit.

The other major problem lies in the arrangement. Most of this song is simply a medley; 'You're Not Alone' clips in once in awhile between the battle theme, and once at the end, but other than that, each section sounds exactly like the source with minorly pumped-up drums (which sound good too, by the way) and that guitar synth. Basically, it sounds like a slightly-modified MIDI rip, which is generally not going to be accepted by the judges.

You can definitely produce and master your tracks; just try to work on finding guitar that isn't so grating, and being more creative. Right now, this is more of a cover than an arrangement: try to reinterpret the songs, find a way to blend them together so that the ReMix is greater than the sum of its parts.

Ooof. Sorry to break it to you, Tim, but this isn't sounding so hot.

A lot of the problem is coming from the guitar. For the most part, the orchestral section seems fairly tight. But that synth guitar sounds like you pulled some baaad FL Slayer presets. It plays one tone at one volume: no dynamics at all, which is a terrible thing for a lead. It's hurting the song quite a bit.

The other major problem lies in the arrangement. Most of this song is simply a medley; 'You're Not Alone' clips in once in awhile between the battle theme, and once at the end, but other than that, each section sounds exactly like the source with minorly pumped-up drums (which sound good too, by the way) and that guitar synth. Basically, it sounds like a slightly-modified MIDI rip, which is generally not going to be accepted by the judges.

You can definitely produce and master your tracks; just try to work on finding guitar that isn't so grating, and being more creative. Right now, this is more of a cover than an arrangement: try to reinterpret the songs, find a way to blend them together so that the ReMix is greater than the sum of its parts.

Thanks for the feedback, ill consider (some of it) next time ;)

I agree with you about the cover part...the structure and build up of the main part are mainly in-line with the original (nobuo did a bloody good job on it and wanted to respect that hehe ;) However, its build from the ground by me, inspired by the original tracks. No existing midi used whatsoever :P If you hear close, you'll hear a lot of detailed adds and changes that i made without disrupting the main tracks from its awesome origin :) Anyway, thats more a style decision i made after re mastering Final Fantasy IX.

Guitar could get alot better once i learned to play one, own one and able to record one hehe :D

Anyway, thats for the judges to decide whether its remixed enough to their standards or not...

If not...well thats too bad, i wont be posting again because i respect their choices and i dont want to give up my style you know. :D

When you'll understand ppl?! Theres no metal or rock or whatever guitar sounding WITHOUT GUITAR!!! If you want to give some charm to your orchestration, just make some FAR fake guitar to it(listen to RoeTaka - Chaos Legion rmx in here). Making fake metal you making SUCKS! Sorry but it is TRUE.

Otherwise, arrangement is pretty interesting and actually good, imo. I like drums, orchestration, and overall production. BUT!

This "guitars".. Kill me if I'm wrong, but it will be better if you destroy all of your "guitars" and make some power bit + Low/High freq distorted FAKE guitar in center(and nothing more).

Anyway this is only my opinion. I had some exp in that sort of mixes.

When you'll understand ppl?! Theres no metal or rock or whatever guitar sounding WITHOUT GUITAR!!! If you want to give some charm to your orchestration, just make some FAR fake guitar to it(listen to RoeTaka - Chaos Legion rmx in here). Making fake metal you making SUCKS! Sorry but it is TRUE.

Otherwise, arrangement is pretty interesting and actually good, imo. I like drums, orchestration, and overall production. BUT!

This "guitars".. Kill me if I'm wrong, but it will be better if you destroy all of your "guitars" and make some power bit + Low/High freq distorted FAKE guitar in center(and nothing more).

Anyway this is only my opinion. I had some exp in that sort of mixes.

Yea, guitars are really my weakest spot since im more of a piano player :P Although the rhythm guitar isn't all that bad imo. At least it gave me the punch i wanted in my comp hehe.

I actually asked a friend of mine to help me out, but neither of us have the equipment. Do you have experience with recording and only emulating the rig with Guitar Rig?

Do you have an example of these "power bit + Low/High freq distorted" fake guitar? cause the far end guitars in RoeTaka - Chaos Legion rmx dont seem to have much power but are sounding good in that composition (more synthy which isnt really suitable in my arrangement)

I'm interested in collaborating with some guitarist out there who are capable of playing/recording, so if you know someone, please let me know :)

Oh btw, its not 'when' ppl will learn or understand...its more 'want ppl' to learn and understand :D Remember its a hobby aside my busy job

When I said about some exp, I mean I'm guitarist/bassist using(trying?:<) some orchestration in my mixes.

As for example of "power bit+ bla,bla".. Well, Roetaka's mix is not a best offer to learn something, cause it more depends of your imagination(hope you'll understand what i'm saying). And the best example of fake guitars here - "Contra Force Power trip" rmx by Nick(don't remember his full name).

As for the hobby.. Dude, I think lot of ppl here have a same situation as you or me.

BTW! Actually when I heard first lead guitar's appearing at the start of your mix, I didn't thought it was fake. But when rhythm came in.. Written is good but sounds obviously fake. Great work in here, but fake guitar is fake guitar and, I think if you want to make it "hot" you have to forget about hobbynes and start work with it professionally or (if you have tones of $) by some awesome "guitar faker"). But for my view it's bullsh), better to find guitarist or change your music style(without hurting your vision). Great work! As I already said before.

When I said about some exp, I mean I'm guitarist/bassist using(trying?:<) some orchestration in my mixes.

As for example of "power bit+ bla,bla".. Well, Roetaka's mix is not a best offer to learn something, cause it more depends of your imagination(hope you'll understand what i'm saying). And the best example of fake guitars here - "Contra Force Power trip" rmx by Nick(don't remember his full name).

As for the hobby.. Dude, I think lot of ppl here have a same situation as you or me.

BTW! Actually when I heard first lead guitar's appearing at the start of your mix, I didn't thought it was fake. But when rhythm came in.. Written is good but sounds obviously fake. Great work in here, but fake guitar is fake guitar and, I think if you want to make it "hot" you have to forget about hobbynes and start work with it professionally or (if you have tones of $) by some awesome "guitar faker"). But for my view it's bullsh), better to find guitarist or change your music style(without hurting your vision). Great work! As I already said before.

Yea i understand what your saying, but i meant im not a student anymore ;)...i wished i did this in my study years, but i was busy learning 3d stuff instead of playing guitar hehe :)

I believe i could be working professionally, (i already do mastering of sound effects etc. for my own company, not full-time though) but need a guitarist. I can play piano/keyboard though...hehe. Which reminds me to buy a proper full 88 midi piano weighted keyboard.

Thanks for your feedback!

This does sound cool. However, it's almost the exact same thing as the original - even down to the choice of instruments.

- It's a direct cover with better sounding instruments than the PS version up until the last minute, where You're Not Alone kicks in with a little arrangement.

- The transitions are cut n' paste sounding.

- The guitar sounds expressionless, which is often the case with VST guitars. If you can't program some more life into them, find a real guitarist and ask them to do the parts for you.

This does sound cool. However, it's almost the exact same thing as the original - even down to the choice of instruments.

- It's a direct cover with better sounding instruments than the PS version up until the last minute, where You're Not Alone kicks in with a little arrangement.

- The transitions are cut n' paste sounding.

- The guitar sounds expressionless, which is often the case with VST guitars. If you can't program some more life into them, find a real guitarist and ask them to do the parts for you.

"The transitions are cut n' paste sounding"

Lol, not the case at all. Sure they have the melodie but that was my point when making ;)

I think you forgot the intro and middle part, sure as hell that isnt in the original :D

Sure i now its not the most remixed track out there. I often 'try' to make real remixed music but after a while i get bored with it because its not true to its (i must say) amazing origin. I guess its more of a misinterpretation of 'remix' on my part.

The instruments in the original are more synths and organs if i recall correctly (at least, i think it sounds like those things) where mine is pure guitar, bass, drum and orchestra. Some may overlap like some guitar bits, trumpet bits and string bits, but overall they are clearly different while remaining the nostalgic sound from the original but this is my opinion.

I guess its just my style to pick a piece, rearrange it to make it (if i may) sound better and more interesting.

The tracks i remastered from FFVII where based on original MIDI.

I made Battle Not Alone from the ground up. You'll notice the difference in the orchestrations.

Just letting you know my point of view here ;) But your right about guitar part...i know/knew.

"This does sound cool"

That was more my goal with making this instead of it being a remix :D

And thanks for your feedback :P