Legend of Zelda: OOT - Song of Storms

llewodcm

It sounds ok so far, but seems to be a bit lacking to me. The structure that is there gets a little repetitive, which, with a source this short is an easy error to fall into. I think more than anything it needs some more substance - some more harmony and melody to offset the bass, and a bit more variation from the original. Don't be afraid to modify or tweak the original melody, or expand upon it. Or, in this styles case, do more variation with the bass. I did like when you brought out a bit different instrumentation at like 0:50 - you could try doing some more with that, either there or on top of the rest.

There's some nice references to the source in the bass, but it's mostly sourceless. If you listen to my windmill hut mix, you'll hear some of the things you can do with the source. As for the overall arrangement, the first 50 seconds seem like a mandatory source use before venturing into more original territory. It's a valid arrangement style, but it sounds newby. :)

The bass melody work ok for most part, but it feels like the wrong timbre, it sounds like it's 2-3 octaves too high. I obviously hear the low end part of that sound (and that's a nice big low end), I'm just taking an issue with the higher components of it. There's some other sounds design stuff you could work on, like the 1:43 instrument which doesn't sound like it belongs in the same soundscape, and it shouldn't tale a lot of eq and other processing to make it fit in better.

Yeah and the drums are just a loop. Trouble writing in this time signature? Even some basic fills and secondary percussion can spice up a loop-based track's rhythms.

One of the more liberal and more interesting takes on the source that I've heard. There's room for improvement tho. The overall production is some ways from ocr's standards, but man it'd kick ass it it got up to that level. Arrangement is a bit too repetitive and needs more source to meet ocr's arrangement standards. It's a cool track, a good start, doesn't need much to be great.

I feel like there's actually close to 50% source in there, so you're pretty close to the minimum. It's clearly discernible from 0-0:50, there's a little residue of it in the next 10 seconds, then it comes back clearly at 1:43 with some alterations, then gives way to another more original section at 2:21. Maybe ~90 seconds of source out of 187?

I'm no dubstep guru, but to me the original sections need the most work, as they seem a little sparse and are only very loosely tied to the source. Sprinkling in some more obvious source refs would be good in these sections. And it seems the dirtier, the better, so maybe it could use some filthy panning synths popping up at random throughout, but especially during the more liberal parts. More booms, pitch drops, and general mayhem might help make the structure more interesting, as long as you use them in a non-repetitive way.

Definitely a good start and an interesting listen! :)