Fortress in the Rain (Metroid Prime 2 Sanctuary Fortress Remix)

Zephyrnereus

does anyone have an opinion? or is it that I'm missing information?

I really wasn't sure what I was aiming for with this song in the beginning. at first it started with "make it sound 8-bit" but I slowly moved away from the idea. soon, I started thinking that I wanted to find a techno-y side to the song. I wanted to describe a fortress filled with advanced circuits, with rain just outside its walls with the music. I feel that I have achieved that, but I still get the feeling that it might be missing something.

I actually enjoy it...though I will say that your melodies are pretty drowned out by the 8bit-ish synth you have going throughout the track. That, and there was no real bassline...but then again, my headphones suck.

It's very clean, however. So props on that. It also wouldn't hurt to add a breakdown section somewhere and then come back with a doubled melody of some sort. I dunno, just stuff I hear in muh head. Good work overall though. :D

The 8-bit stuff really needs to be softened or filtered down a bit, IMO. However, I actually think that, despite it, you did a good job of bringing out the melodies.

I love the overall feel of the track. The referencing of the Metroid Prime series' choral-sounds here and there (actually, the sounds used throughout are very reminiscent of those used by the games themselves) were a nice touch.

The main thing I'm getting from your mix is a lack of solid direction. Where do you want to take us? You've got the running sixteenths throughout, and when you softened them by the end of the track I assumed it was going to go in a different direction... but of course, then it ended. The track is pretty static in terms of dynamics; I feel this is one option that you could easily turn to in order to create variety and hold the interest of your audience. I'd also agree with Dash's suggestion of a breakdown, though that's up to you... I can see the piece working well both with and without one.

Of course, again, it all depends on what you're trying to do. Really nice track you've got here.