*NO* Final Fantasy 'Prelude' (aka I didn't name my mix)

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff1.zip - Track 1

Nah. It's the Prelude played in a straightforward manner on piano with some light drums, strings, as well as some like guitar and winds. I don't hate it, but it brings nothing interpretive to the table and isn't expansive enough. The sedate/laid back vibe was alright; somewhat enjoyable and the light guitar work reminded me of Ailsean's stuff on some level. Not bad though. Go for rearrangement in future submissions. And, you know...name the damn thing next time.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Offhand, ouch @ that mechanized piano. It sounds really unnatural, but what makes it worse is that it's by itself for awhile, revealing how minimal the mix is. The other parts simply come in without warning, with no effort towards a transition. Sounds are bordering on GM quality.. there are easily better free soundfonts out there, so there's no excuse. The loud acoustic drums playing a downtempo rock pattern doesn't work for me either. If you're going for a Kaijin-style ballad (which this sort of reminds me of), you probably don't want drums that are louder than everything else, and that don't sound all that great to begin with. Finally, there's a cop-out, poorly-done ending. Put more effort into your arrangement and improve your sounds (Remixing forum for more info), and you'll be heading in the right direction.

NO