*NO* Thunder Force 4 'Lightning Striker'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: Dew

Email: dew.amn@gmail.com

UserID: 11257

Game Arranged: Thunder Force IV

Song Arranged: Lightning Strikes Again (opening theme)

Sequenced in FL Studio 9 using Shreddage, EWQL Ministry of Rock, Guitar Rig 4, FL Hardcore, Sytrus, and Drumkit From Hell. Mastered in FL and Audacity.

This mix has been a looooong time in the making with some help and criticism from the cool peoples over at the WIP forum. While the composition/arrangement hasn't changed much, I've been messing with the mastering for what seems like forever. Getting all the instruments to sound the way I want them to AND play nice with each other AND and fill my soundstage in a balanced manner all at once feels like a nebulous challenge that never ends. I've reached a point where I feel that I've done as much with it as I'm currently capable of, so I'm taking the plunge and submitting. I hope you find it to be enjoyable.

--------------------

Never easy to take a 35 second source and expand on it, but I think you've treated this right. There's plenty of expansion and melodies added on top of the source, and the chords change around where appropriate. There might be some concern about the source being a little scarce overall, but I think for me it shows when it needs to.

Production is a in need of some work. Things are overcompressed, and overall the drums are being overpowered, which is cutting down your power here. I think you need to relook at this to really make it killer.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

The main thing you are missing here that is really causing issues with the balance and ability to hear each element is panning. For example, at the beginning, you have the main riff, and then then other rhythm guitar comes in with the chord. Slightly panning both of these to opposite directions would give the whole mix more clarity, and then leaving the lead in the center would keep the balance.

Drum programming was good overall, but overpowered by the guitars.

Loving the arrangement and very involved ornamentation, but you'll need to pan things in order to get the best sound. Hit me up via PM if you want additional tips once you make those changes. This is a sick arrangement, it just needs the production boost. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

nice original melodies; not much you can do with a song that doesn't have any, but the source riffs were definitely recognizable for a good portion of the mix. the guitars, esp. the rhythms, sounded pretty good, and I was really digging the lead synth in the second half, too.

the mixing here is really focused in the upper mid/high's, and doesn't have any oomph. the bass is really quiet and the guitars and drums need more punch. the drums in particular, as the other judges have mentioned, are really overpowered, and the lead guitar also seemed somewhat buried by the rest of the arrangement. needs some work, but if you smooth out the mixing, this can be a solid mix. :D

NO(resub)