*NO* Sanxion 'Sanxion for the Bizillionth Time'

DragonAvenger

Fun source, and I had a lot of fun listening to this mix. That being said, there are some issues that need to be addressed. For one, the drums are really lacking in energy, and pretty repetitive overall. I'd love to hear some fills or details that make them work with the mix more than just using different loops. Secondly, I'm not really feeling the lead synth at 1:13; it doesn't have a lot of cutting power. Overall the synths are alright.

The arrangement itself is a bit basic, and I'm a bit on the fence about whether I think you should do a little more with this. I think it might stem from the melodies themselves remaining pretty true to the original, and hearing them multiple times in the song. Also, the ending is pretty abrupt, and could use a little fix up.

Lots of little things adding up, but it's still an enjoyable listen. Hope you fix this up and send it back!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice intro, gave a good recap of the original and then hit us with the update. The synths were pretty good and made good reference to the original, but Deia has some good points in some of the balance issues, as well as the drum patterns remaining largely on autopilot. THe main pattern is interesting, but the fills seem so far in the background, and the pattern never gets switched up, so it gets driven into the ground a little.

I am all for the melodies remaining true to the source, but I think that some more expansion overall would put this over the bar. As is, it's not quite there, but it's close.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the gritty, mangled feel in the intro, and the chiptune aesthetic of some of the lead synths and background arps. you used the same drum loop for most of the track with some little fills; could use some more variation there. the synth choices were cool but it felt like a lot of your instruments were sharing the same frequency range- EQ'ing out some of your un-needed frequencies should help clear up the production a bit. Arrangement was okay in my book with the added arpeggios and melodic embellishments, but as said could benefit from a little more expansion and original writing.

NO (resub)

This sounds pretty enjoyable, however there's too much direct sampling of the original Sanxion audio for this submission to be acceptable. Obviously, there's separate guitar work as well, but the original C64 chiptune is in play for the majority of the track and there were too many sections where the ONLY connection was you sampling the original audio, which isn't what we're about. If the original audio is sampled, it has to be done sparingly and not be the foundation of the piece. Every other J should have pointed this out in their votes, but these n00bs don't know C64, so I'm letting you know this now so you don't waste your energy on a resubmission if it's still basically going to be like this.

NO