*NO* EarthBound 'EarthBound Romance'

OceansAndrew

Remixer name: Nicol Armarfi (u=23598)

Game: Earthbound

Track: Because I Love You

Source:

Comments: I've never tried submitting anything here before so I'm interested to see how it all goes. I can't say I'm an active member of the community, but I pay attention to the ReMixes and albums produced there and I have a fairly good idea of the high standard of quality withheld. I'm not extremely confident about my production quality, but I think if anything else having someone who knows what they're talking about comment on my work is a great motivator.

The ReMix itself is pretty straightforward. I really like simple melodies because they're so easy to work with, and it didn't take too much effort to expand on the base material of Because I Love You. The main goal here was to create a seamless, warm atmosphere to carry the tune. The instrumentation is entirely acoustic with a piano, two guitars, flutes, and a large string ensemble. The whole thing is entirely synthesized and I feel this is probably the main detracting factor. The main guitar part is probably something that would have added to the tone of the piece greatly had it been recorded live, but unfortunately I lack the proper environment to do so. I think it sounded pretty solid in the end anyway, though.

Anyway, cheers; thanks for taking the time to listen :)

Definitely a nice source here, and you've arranged this very nicely. Right now the first half of the arrangement is very conservative, too much so for the site's standards in my opinion. After that you delve into some original material that fits nicely with the source tune, although they are side-by-side rather than working together. It would be great if you could interspace your original work with the source.

I will agree that this would benefit from some live players, and there are plenty in the community, I'm sure you could dig someone up willing to lend you a hand in playing some of this! As it is, the sounds aren't the greatest, but I think for the most part they work in this context. I would consider changing having the strings a guitars double, however, since the slower string attack makes it not line up well with the guitar attack, and overall it sounds sloppy.

So, mix up your original work with the source more, fix a couple tweaks, and maybe find a player or two!

NO (resubmit)

A pretty nice combination of the source and some original material, but I agree with Deia that it's really close to a sound upgrade interspersed with some nice original passages. I do think it works well as a music piece, but it needs to have more integration of original parts mixed in the the source to be an OCReMix. The ending is a move in the right direction, as far as slightly altering the source to make it your own while still being recognizable.

The samples are decent, though the strings need a little bit of work to match up the attacks. I do like the feel they give the track, but the attack needs to be addressed.

Overall, this is a nice and peaceful take on a beautiful theme, but needs a bit of work to pass the bar.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the piano sounded nice, that opening arpeggio was really pleasant. the guitar was fine too, but the strings and flute articulations were pretty washy. arrangement wise, I agree that it's too conservative, though the instrumentation is changed up, you need to inject some more original writing and interpretation for it to be passable.

NO