*NO* Earthworm Jim 'Jimmy in the City'

OceansAndrew

Greetings Judges,

My name is Branden Mirach.

Attached in the e-mail is my very first submission to OverClocked Remix. The attachment is a remix of the first level of EarthWorm Jim titled New Junk City, for the SNES, Sega, and PC platforms. This song was definitely one of my favorites, especially the SNES version of the song which conveys a much darker tone.

As far as my remix is concerned, I tried to go for a more jazzy-acoustic feel. The original song had some blues-like elements and I thought acoustic instrumentation can better reflect those elements. As far as the structure of the mix is concerned, I stayed relatively close to the source material. However with each of the sections of the song, I wanted to convey a different sense of emotion.

My aim with the melodic/structural progression of this mix was to mimic the actual progression of the character Earthworm Jim, in and of itself.

The beginning starts off with a simple piano, much like the worm before the Power suit.

All the fanfare hits at 0:17 as Jim discovers his new found abilities.

At 1:27 the tone become slightly more moody, as Jim copes with his new found responsibility to protect others with his gift.

At 2:54 Jim finds the confidence he needs to become a hero, and starts making mincemeat of the baddies in his environment

At 3:39 Jim understands what it is to be a hero, and the fanfare that follows is him exiting the stage to save yet another world.

The inspiration for this song, oddly enough was Sade's Solider of love. The cadence and the instrumentation of that song influenced me to remix New Junk City in a similar manner.

The original song for New Junk City can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCX75IiPnvk

I hope all the judges enjoy this remix.

As you mention, the arrangement is pretty close structurally close to the original, but there's a lot of personalization here. What's essentially killing this is the sounds and the production. None of the sounds are really cutting it for me, and a lot of it feels mechanical, which is throwing off the jazz feel. I felt like the bass could have come up a bit, and the kick drum could have a little more oomph as well.

Arrangement is there, it's the rest holding this back.

NO (resubmit)

instruments and samples at play here are vanilla, but the balance is alright. the kick and bass could both use a boost. piano, strings, brass, all the articulations and sequencing is mechanical. you need to humanize the timing and velocities more to get 'em sounding more realistic.

arrangement is conservative but you've made some nice changes to the structure and melodies. I felt the mix dragged on for a bit too long, and the drums were on autopilot and could use some more variation, but for the most part I was okay with it.

gotta get some better samples/humanization in there, but it wouldn't hurt to trim some repetition out of the arrangement too.

NO(resub)

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are some really nice arrangement ideas here, but I have to agree that some of the cheap-sounding samples and the mechanical sequencing keep this back from it's full potential. I recommend hitting up the WIP forums and getting some detailed feedback from others on getting the specifics down, and maybe some help with samples. :-)

No, please resubmit