Persona + Metal Gear Solid + Phantom of the Opera = ?

DjMystix

I always thought 'Velvet Room' from Persona and 'Phantom of the Opera' can mix into one song perfectly. But for this remix, I'm trying to go an extra mile to add my favorite track from MGS1.

This is what I've got so far:

WIP1:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/Untitled.mp3

There's much to do here but chime in your comments/suggestions. Would be great to know what people think of the idea (Just treat it as a sketch for now)

Sources:

Persona - Velvet Room/Poem for everyone's soul:

Phantom of the Opera:

Metal Gear Solid - The Best is yet to come:

The only critiques I can think of are probably to do with the fact that this is a sketch but I'll say them anyway.

The woodwind and then strings that plays the PotO theme could be humanised more

The bass and drums during this part could be doing some more varied stuff other than just the fills.

But yeah, the intro with the guitar seem pretty solid to me and the bagpipes(?)at the end work surprisingly well imo but would like to see where you go from there.

You probably didn't mean for it, but I'm hearing a lot of Spaghetti Western/Ennio Morricone influence in this track. It's good, so far, but I have two problems with it...

1. It feels short. I mean, that's not THAT bad, really, but I definitely wanted the piece to keep going towards the end.

2. The "Phantom of the Opera" influence is all too obvious. As such, it almost doesn't feel like it mixes with the rest of the piece, and it stands out a bit too much.

Still, those are just my opinions, and I am by no means an expert. Keep working at it!

Thanks guys; comments always help.

I'm hearing a lot of Spaghetti Western/Ennio Morricone influence

The Spaghetti Western/Ennio Morricone influence is not intentional. I mostly make this kind of music. :)

The "Phantom of the Opera" influence is all too obvious

That was intentional since it is one of my favorite songs. BUT I'll make sure you don't feel like it isn't part of the track. This is part of the challange.

The woodwind and then strings that plays the PotO theme could be humanised more

Yeah I also wasn't so sure about it and am going to rewrite this.

The bass and drums during this part could be doing some more varied stuff other than just the fills.

Gotcha! Will not happen in the next build. It actually was a filler for the sketch.

bagpipes(?)at the end work surprisingly well

Great to know that. I was a little nervous about it and wanted to replace it with oboe. Guess I'll keep it for now.

I just wanted to get some ideas on whether to continue with this direction or do it in another style. The real challenge is to mix MGS track which has a different chord progression.

My next upload is going to be a (long) finished version. Thanks for listening!