The Sims (1 and 3) - Musicolours

Guifrog

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=1203

0:08-0:48; 4:18-4:34.

1:03-2:24; 2:50-3:13 (there's source here, but the melody's just more obscure); 3:35-4:01.

The rest is either chord progression from the sources or original writing, like the piano playing part.

There's quite a big backstory for this, but, to sum it up, it's about diversity of love. I've treated instruments as if they were people with their respective genders, and I intentionally made them pair together a lot. The harp represents love. Further details will be explained when (or if ;P) this gets posted, but before I even send this, I'd like you to give some crits.

LET'S GO FOR A SIMS REMIX GUYS \@/

This is VERY adeptly arranged and produced, though I feel like your bassline is pretty buried and isn't really coming through at all. Your staccato strings are also a little robotic, get some velocity changes and dynamics and stuff on those! :-) Other than that, this is quite enjoyable - I wasn't expecting the changeup but it sounds good to me :-D

Not much critical to say about this one, it's good man! It's like Ziwtra-meets-some-random-anime-soundtrack, I dig!

this is really nice, i like this a lot. the arrangement is strong and it's got a great vibe. my only issue with it is that it seems like it loses some momentum around the middle and then picks it up again with the key change. by around 2:30 it just feels like the constant beat has been going on for a little too long and needs a bigger break than what's there now, but that's just my ears (maybe i just listen to too much electronica with buildup/breakdown style songwriting, haha). really nice work, overall!

Okay, here we go!

First, I want to tell you how much I enjoyed your first OC ReMix. You did a great job with that one. You take samples that might not be cream-of-the-crop and make them super-enjoyable and well-fitting within your desired soundscape.

186 seconds of alleged source out of a song 277 seconds long? I can dig it. You're right about the melody sounding more obscure during that middle section, but I can still hear it. You're okay on source usage here.

Your mixing and mastering has gotten a LOT better, and I really like this, though there's a few production concerns I have. The 100% hardpanning of some of the instruments feels slightly odd, especially for those super-active strings on the left slide. I'm not saying do a center pan, but I'd be interested in hearing what would happen if you tinkered with changing some of the 100% panned instruments to ranges between 60% and 80%, having a little bit of stereo-bleed and balance. That might necessitate a small reduction in the volume of some of the instruments, but again, I'd be interested in hearing how it all comes together with a little bit less disparity in the stereo placement.

Again, you do a great job with what you have to work with, but there's some places you can change and improve here. The harp sample you used to open up sounds likely dry and exposed. It an adequate sample, but I'd recommend turning up the wet mix a bit and lessening the delay's volume during the song: its a nice effect but ends up sounding a bit sloppy with the overlap of the playing versus the delay.

The claps you use throughout, first appearing at 0:50, I don't think are working. Using sampled claps for anything outside of something like an 808 sample intended for electronica style is unbelievably difficult (I ran into the same problem working on one of my NiGHTS songs). The best thing to do is, if you can, do some recording with a mic of multiple takes of you doing the same clap rhythm over and over. Good quality mic is a must, and experiment with different angles, distances, and even objects - do a set of claping hands on your legs, etc. If live recording isn't a possibility, let me know, and we can figure something out.

The piano could also be mixed in slightly better. It sounds a bit quiet considering all else that is going on around it during the bridge section at 2:23. Especially the low end, which really loses some of the oomph it could have. Might be the sequencing needs to be a slightly more humanized in the area of velocity, or the volume slightly brought up.

I love what you've done with the strings in-general by the way. Very convincing sequencing! Those fast strums are incredible!

If you can get ahold of a live flute player, my goodness would the flute sound incredible. It sounds passable as-is to me, but I can only imagine what it would sound like live.

For the overall mastering, you've done a good job. I'd recommend maybe boosting the high end just a pinch to really make the chimes and high instruments shimmer.

Great work on this, it is absolutely enjoyable and, with a few minor tweaks, should be ready to roll!

Yay!! That's exactly the type of crits I was looking for, thanks a continent L99!

I'm just kinda sad because you guys didn't play the judge game, but still that's highly appreciated :P

Ah, well, 'bout Shiva Nataraja, these days I've been wondering how it got past. It may have quite of a backstory (like this one, which is even bigger), but I just can't feel it as I used to. There's many remixes that I've done before Musicolours that got NO'ed, be it due to poor sample usage, or to mastering issues. I suppose the way I've created my first posted remix was like, a random thing that turned right. Either that, or the passing bar has risen.

If there's a moment where my skills will reach enough stability for the website's standards, I'm eagerly, persistently waiting (and practicing) for it ;)