*NO* World Cup Italia '90 'The Dreamchaser' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31115

Remixer name: Guifrog

-------------

GAME ARRANGED: World Cup Italia '90 (Master System).

SONGS ARRANGED:

1) Main Theme. Source links:

(), or

(

).

2) Elimination League/Winning BGM. Source links:

(

), or

().

3) Final Tournament/Losing BGM. Source links:

(

), or

().

P.s.: Try youtube or download sources later if MediaFire's down.

REMIX NAME: The Dreamchaser.

REMIX LINK:

-------------

Ribbit!

Been awhile, heh? Been slacking, really. :P

When I submitted "The Dreamseeker", I was worried that OcRemix's staff wouldn't approve something that was based on such an obscure source. Or, if it was accepted, it would probably be worth donwloading because of the remix itself, not the game. So, it was rejected due to being too liberal and having weak samples, which means I actually _can_ resub it!

Now, I think "chaser" fits more to it than "seeker". He's not trying to decide which dreams he'll pursue, he's actually going for it. I guess you can see how excited he is, after he starts running on the road screaming "OH GOSH I'VE JUST ENTERED! I'M DOING IT!", like there's no way to come back. And boy, isn't the adventure the most fun thing? There's always something new to find out. But there's a time when you see that not everything's beautiful. Y'know, crash, KABOOM, cough-cough. Ugly things don't respect anyone's journey, and they intend to avoid us running away from reality. Tho, we don't seem to know how to handle 'em as they come, and we may fall beautifully. Give up. You see, that's what you get for forcing blindness. Everything appears to be ugly.

Nah. There's good and bad. That was a bad. We're looking for good. So what? Smart/strong people go cautiously this time. Start to walk slower, learning through the ugly, enjoying the beautiful, until they finally get to the WONDERFUL \@/

I think that's a vague and simple summary on how life is. Kids see the good and run; teens start to see the bad, fall and cry; but the moment to open the eyes to both is not set. We're always finding new things, which means, life's a lot more complicated. Just as The Dreamchaser might be seen differently to each one.

ALRIGHT, NOW TO BREAKDOWN. Many tweaks to instruments, echo things, humanization, focus on sources, a few new melodies:

Act 1: Beautiful.

0:00-0:28 => Source 1, first part.

0:41-1:06 => Source 1, first part, happy version.

1:07-1:34 => Source 1, second part, happy version.

1:35-1:48 => Transition, original writing.

1:49-2:28 => Source 2, complete.

2:29-2:41 => Source 1, first part.

2:42-3:09 => Original writing.

Act 2: Ugly.

3:10-3:23 => Source 1, first part, obscure version.

3:24-3:35 => Source 1, second part, obscure version.

3:36-3:48 => Source 2, first part, obscure.

3:49-4:00 => Oboe transition, original writing.

4:01-4:39 => Source 3, complete, harp.

4:40-5:03 => Original writing, trying to make a fair pitch transition.

Act 3: Beautiful and Ugly (Standing Up).

5:04-5:21 => Source 3, first part, harp/guitar.

5:22-5:29 => Lil' added thing.

5:30-6:10 => Source 3, complete, harp/oboe.

Act 4: Wonderful. (Achievement)

6:12-6:47 => Source 3, incomplete second part, happy version.

6:48-6:51 => Transition, original writing.

6:52-7:05 => Source 1, second part, supermegahappy version.

7:06-7:16 => Original writing. The great ending. It was REALLY fun!

Now, I've been wondering, maybe the whole journey was the wanderer's dream. XD

• 2 weeks later...

This is an ambitious remix, and as usually you have shown some expansion on your own personal writing style. That being said, I understand what you are trying to go for with the different acts, but I don't know if it's really working in practice. Personally, the mix feels disjointed rather than progressing through the different sections. Could just be me, so I'll invite the other judges to weigh in on this as well. On the plus, this is showing a lot more source used throughout, and the original sections are there, but kept brief, a definite improvement over last time. As always, thanks for the breakdown!

The real issue here is samples and production. Overall every sample feels pretty week to me, and its compounded by the fact that almost every sample is exposed, making all the weaknesses stand out further. The delay/echo on the piano is also making things feel out of time, as a side note. I'm inclined to say that the mix feels a little sparse at times, but honestly it might be the samples as well, it's hard to tell.

Not doing it for me, sorry.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

The samples actually feel ok to me, but the mixing and balance does have them not sounding their best. There sounds like there is a pretty big frequency hole in the low mids, and it hurts the track overall hearing the bass and the high end stuff with very little in the middle.

Overall the transitions worked well enough, since it is more like different movements, and I really liked the arrangement but the track feels very thin and lacks power. I think adding in some additional instruments in the low mids, and upping the bass volume slightly will help gel this together better, and some sequencing humanization wouldn't hurt either, specifically in the more exposed sections. I really would like to see this on the front page, so please resub this! :D

No, please resubmit

• 2 months later...

I think the arrangement ideas and expansion on the sources is great, there's a lot to like here, and I thought the progression through movements was a neat concept, and you executed it pretty well. the samples are definitely holding this back though. :( a lot of them just sounded thin and (aside from Act 2 and 3, which I though were much more cohesive) mechanically sequenced. I know it's electronica, but when pretty much all the elements, aside from the beat, are 'real' instruments, the rigid articulations and velocities really bring it down.

I think this is a unique, ambitious mix you have here, and I think you can get away with the samples you are using, but they definitely need to be tweaked to sound more natural. keep at it. I hope to hear this one again sometime. :)

NO(resub)