*NO* Metroid 'Metroid Apocalypse'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 1

Not a bad effort. Certainly some good additive stuff present in the mix. Good light piano rendition of the melody, as well as the string work and most of the other sounds.

Moving into 1:27, we got some distorted synth electric guitar that really didn't combine well here, along with some very basic, somewhat plodding percussion that had no punch to it. After a cymbal swell at 2:16 that sounded too loud and out of place (same at 2:36 - tone it down), the composition slowed down.

By 3:01 things remained slow in the next section. Nothing much really developed here. You don't have to start making the track loud or intense in order to create some sort of dynamics towards the end, but the already existing creativity and additive ideas went on cruise control beyond 3:01.

Scrap the distorted guitar and bring some other new instruments and ideas into the equation from 1:27-2:16. Wouldn't mind hearing some further significant reinterpretation of the actual "Title" theme, but some of that exists here and the additive components worked for the most part. Keep working on it, bro. Fairly basic ideas, but they show promise.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I was more enamoured by this piece than Larry. I really loved the intro, aside from some really *glaring* spikes in volume on the strings. And I mean glaring. It's like making out with a beautiful girl on a dusklit beach just before the sun arcs its halo below the horizon... and then having that girl bite your tongue. Hard. That's how bad the spikes are.

But other than those rampaging EQ issues, I thought this was a very unique and, dare I say, soulful take on the oft-remixed Metroid title. I'm down widdit.

So here's how the vote's gonna go--

RESUBMIT PRONTO

--fix the damn strings. Dammit.

For the benefit of your ego, that's a YES. But for technical and bureaucratic [sic] reasons, it's really a NO.

• 3 weeks later...

Mixing problems ahoy as already described. The levels are off on this one. I would definitely put the drums a bit further back, and make it quieter. To me the drums sound Pasted on. It doesn't sound like it's in the same environment as the other elements. This could be remedied by either better reverb programming or better mixing. There's a lot of eq problems also. The sounds tend to clash rather than work together. Strings are way too sharp, I would push those a bit further back with reverb and perhaps roll off somewhere in the 2 or 4 K hz regions.

I too enjoyed this a lot, but this needs more polish. Borderline NO.