What is "muddiness"?

In my desire to improve, I'm coming across this term a lot here at OCR. Thankfully, when I got a judgement thread, I never got the "muddy" crit, but I'm still wondering how to identify it, so I can get rid of it if I hear it.

I've gathered from the judges forum, it's when multiple instruments fight for the same space in the sound spectrum, making it sound "mud", but I just need to train my ears to recognize it when I hear it. High-end mud especially.

If someone can make something demonstrating that, that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I've seen it referring to what you're talking about - different instruments fighting for the same sonic space, though the more common meaning for "mud" in the world is too much low mids - the heavy unclarity at like 150-400hz. Different instruments fighting for the same space is called "masking." That being said, like you mentioned, on OCR many people do call masking by the name of muddiness.

An indistinct wall of sound in the low-mid end of the frequency spectrum, generally caused by reverb, multiple instruments fighting for the same frequency, etc.

Boost as much as possible with a notch EQ with a reasonably narrow Q, and move it around in the 150-400 Hz area to get a feeling for what it sounds like.