*NO* Spyro the Dragon 'Among the Stars'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer name: Synthony

Email: siliconsynthonyorchestra@gmail.com

UserID: 43804

Game(s): The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon/The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning

Song(s): Credits*, Valley of Avalar

The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon

PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii

Score by Rebecca Kneubuhl and Gabriel Mann

*Song is also in The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning and The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, but is only listed in the soundtrack of A New Beginning

I've noticed there's not a single remix from any of the Spyro games on OCR... I disapprove. ;)

I finally got hold of Dawn of the Dragon a couple weeks ago, and it was well worth the wait. As I was exploring the Valley of Avalar, the theme from the credits of A New Beginning started playing in the background, and it occurred to me that it would make a good dance song. With that thought, I headed to YouTube to find out how to achieve the pumping-and-breathing effect, then fired up FLStudio... soon after, Among the Stars was completed.

For some reason, my remix here evokes a scene in my head: Spyro and Cynder are settling down for the night under a clear, starry sky when Cynder realizes they may very well be killed at any time, so she urges Spyro to take advantage of the peace they have and enjoy the moment. "Shall we dance?"

sources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QelvDIIzxU0

Source is pretty nice, not something I would have expected from a Spyro game. Never assume, I guess.

Right now the arrangement is pretty straightforward for the credits theme, and pretty repetitious, without enough development for our standards. Your submission letter is a little confusing, so I'm not sure if the Valley theme is in there at all, but I'm not hearing it. I'd love to see you expand more on the theme, and add some more of your own flavor to it.

The choir sounds are very similar to the original, but aside from that you have a pretty new soundscape here. I'm not sold on the balance; lows sounds too loud and highs not present enough. Not really feeling the kick sound as well, but that might be personal choice more than anything.

It's a good start, but I think this has a ways to go.

NO (resubmit)

I agree that this track feels repetitive and needs more polish overall. That kick as a very strange slapback sound that is distracting, and it's too prominent for the rest of the feel of the song. The melodic content is also pretty buried underneath the drums and bass, and overall the balance needs a pretty serious overhaul.

The arrangement itself is pretty conservative, and beyond the move to a heavy beat, there isn't a ton of real interpretation added. I suggest mixing it up a bit more, and definitely make the melody more prominent. :-)

No

the kick and bass are too loud (I'm also not a fan of that kick sample) and your leads aren't cutting through enough. the instrumentation was fine, but the mixing and balance kills it. the arrangement is also too conservative, mostly a genre adaptation.

compare your mixing to some stuff by guys like Flexstyle and Jewbei to try and get a better idea of where the balance should be between your highs and lows, and try to inject some more original writing/interpretation into your arrangements.

NO(resub)