Wrath of Poseidon

My roommate is making a Shmup game, and I've been trying to make music for it. I recently got Komplete and I've been messing around with rhythm guitar using Guitar Rig 4. This song sort of came from said messing around. It was my first time trying out the whole pan 2 guitar tracks left and right kind of thing, but I think it has turned out decent so far. I think it could fit in a Shmup game with a bit of refining (and of course making it longer).

*LATEST VERSION:

http://soundcloud.com/jordan-reed/amphibious-wrath-of-poseidon-1

1st Version:

http://soundcloud.com/jordan-reed/amphibious-wrath-of-poseidon

What do you think?

Very cool vibe to this one. It reminds me so much of some Mega Man or Sonic song I can't quite place at the moment. I'm not sure if I like the first synth arpeggio where it is. Kinda feels naked without any other synths going on, just hanging out among the guitar samples. I'm not experienced enough to comment on mastering or anything like that, but that aspect sounded good to me for what it's worth. This definitely has a good foundation, can't wait to hear the rest.

Very cool vibe to this one. It reminds me so much of some Mega Man or Sonic song I can't quite place at the moment. I'm not sure if I like the first synth arpeggio where it is. Kinda feels naked without any other synths going on, just hanging out among the guitar samples. I'm not experienced enough to comment on mastering or anything like that, but that aspect sounded good to me for what it's worth. This definitely has a good foundation, can't wait to hear the rest.

Ah yes, fair point about the synth arpeggio. I'm planning to fill it out a bit more with some more synths, so I'll keep that in mind as I add more to it.

Here's an updated version:

http://soundcloud.com/jordan-reed/amphibious-wrath-of-poseidon-1

Its longer, and I tweaked some of the mixing. Also, it pretty much repeats a second time with a slight variation at the end. I'm planning to make the melody different when it repeats, then perhaps lead into a new part where this version ends. I'll have to play with it some more.

*EDIT - I think the lead guitars could use some work, also. I've never been that great at lead but I'll see what I can do.

Lovin' this tune. Personally, I don't have any complaints about the composition itself. However, there may be a better kick drum out there for this tune. The lead tone is a bit.....flat? It sort of lacks any hard rock "scream" to it.

That's just my opinion though. I could totally see this in a shooting game!

Yeah the extra kick I layered in with the beat doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I also have a tough time mixing kicks well to get a good punch, but I'll have to try some more out.

I was using a lead preset in Guitar Rig for the leads, which I guess weren't quite the best. I'll admit I might have got a little lazy with them but I'll for sure have to revamp the tone, and maybe re-record to fix up some rhythmic imperfections.

Your feedback is much appreciated, thanks!