OCR02429 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'In the Robot Factory'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name - Anti-Syne

Your real name - Jack Lewis

Your userid - 31863

Submission Information

Name of game arranged: Sonic 2

Name of individual song arranged: Boss Theme (Robotnic's Theme)

I seem to be submitting tracks in pairs these days, first two from FF8, now two from Sonic 2. Well anyway, given this is a ReMix of Robotnik's theme, I thought I'd make it sound as Robotic as possible (genius no?), so it's full of distorted synths, mechanical sounds and heavy drums, to make it sound like (as the name suggests) it's in a factory.

Hope you enjoy!

---------------------

pretty sweet industrial-ish take on the theme- very fitting! the chiptuney breakdown left more to be desired, and your main verse section with the fx got a little boring after the first few times hearing it, but the melodic sections in between were really well-varied and helped keep the arrangement fresh. some of the synths were a little on the generic side but all the fidgety little details and LFO's give 'em some personality.

I like it. :)

YES

The source use is pretty cool slowed down like this, and there are a lot of nice ideas overall. Some of the verses sound a bit cut and pasted, even though they are really busy and planned out. The rest of the track is really fun and cool. The ending is slightly a let down, but isn't exactly sloppy, either, so I'm not sure what to think of it beyond that it could have been better.

Could have used a little less SFX and more verse variation, but overall this one is a lot of fun. :-)

Yes

Honestly little to add to what the gentlemen about have said. It's a cool approach to the source, and I really like it slowed down with the industrial beats. Overall things do feel a little cut and pasted later on, and overall there could have been more in terms of variation, but I think it still gets the job done in the end.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool take you have here. Liked how hard the beat hits and the gritty synths. Totally agree that sfx use could be cut back quite a bit.

The balance of the track seemed a bit off to my ears - I can appreciate the loud, in your face synths and beats, but it may have been a bit overdone here. For example, the syncopated synth that enters at :49 is competing with the others and starts to overpower the mids.

Note: there's a rendering glitch at 1:24, which the mixer may want to look at.

1:51 presented a nice break from the harder stuff, giving a nice, if brief contrast to the song.

2:51 - 3:29 felt like a rehash of what we've already heard quite a bit in the first part of the song. I would've liked to hear something more or different hear to progress the arrangement along. Given that you do bring back a similar section later at 4:00, but with some additional variation this time, you probably could've cut the aforementioned section entirely.

Cool idea with the bitcrushing at the end, though it could've faded down more smoothly IMO. Right now it ends a bit abruptly.

Overall well produced, if a little repetative. Enjoyable listen and cool mix dude. Despite some weaknesses, this is over the bar IMO.

Yes

• 10 months later...