*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'Gaping Grotto'

djpretzel

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/loz3.rsn - "Sanctuary Dungeon" (loz3-15.spc)

Yeah, I remember talking to Matt a few months ago about this one in #ormgas, so I'm not gonna spend too much time going over this one.

The samples were pretty generic and relatively unprocessed; if the situation is anything like your previous Gunsmoke submission, zircon will be able to point out specific presets you used this time around, and you don't want judges to be able to do that so readily.

Aside from having some interesting ideas for the background music and some occasional rhythmic ateration of the source tune, this was a pretty conservative affair. The structure basically went "verbatim melody, original section, original section, verbatim melody", and that's just not gonna fly. You've gotta integrate your original composition ideas with significant rearrangement.

There were some cool areas, like 1:50-2:31, that I really enjoyed. Some interesting percussion sounds and decent textures there. However, the section after that had some background material that didn't sound in the same key with the melody (2:35-2:48).

You've really gotta branch out and try new sounds along with more comprehensive exploration into processing and effects work to fashion sounds with more creativity and flair, and take more care to rearrange the actual melodic content of whatever source material you use. You need to camp out at the ReMixing forum and field more criticism at the Work-in-Progress forum. Really put some effort into stepping up your game in order to see some better results.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the greatest problem here is that the source theme isn't developed very much and feels somewhat tacked on; that is, perhaps the majority of the mix is spent exploring new material; and when you do use the source it just plays through exactly as the original with no additions or developments.

I'm an advocate of having all thematic material come in some way from the source melody, and while you may not want to go that far, you definitely need to find ways to integrate the game theme more prominently into your work.

NO

Israfel nailed it on the head. In addition, I really felt this was a simplified mix. Often there's usually only around three elements going on here throughout. I really think more harmonic content can improve this. Drum/perc work could be enhanced as well to add something substantiative/creative to the mix, right now it really doesn't add anything.

The synths and drumwork just sounds cookie-cutter for me. There are good ideas here, but it just isn't capitalized on right now.

NO