*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Remix Factory Progression'

djpretzel

Remixer Name: Remix Factory

E-Mail Address: info@remix-factory.co.uk

Forum User ID: MarkRF (sorry, couldn't locate ID number)

Game: Sonic 3

Source: Chrome Gadget

Remix Title: "Progression"

Comments: We're back! Listeners should take the title of this mix literally as the track progresses from one section to the next (sans traditional chorus structure) hence the lengthy intro / finale sections. I'm aware that the fat synth bass in the final half of the mix is inspired by Herb Albert's legendary "Rotation", however, since I'm simply the guy delivering the mix I can't really comment on the inspiration of its stylings/genre etc. Hope you like the mix!!

Peace out!

~ Mark

http://www.zophar.net/gym/SK+SONIC3.RAR - "Chrome Gadget"

The intro felt pretty weak, IMO, until some more substance came in at :38 in the form of some strings. The e-piano was alright.

There were some odd note clashes around 1:23 & 1:33, for example. The minimalist section of 1:16-1:54 really sapped the life out of the piece, though I liked the strings. Decent stuff afterwards, with some tambourine work coming in at 1:53, but the textures here weren't very cohesive.

The changeup at 2:14 featured some very pasted-on (and defaulty) synth drums, and the e-piano having no velocity variation was a bit too much of a negative, although I realize it's not meant to sound particularly realistic for this genre. Nonetheless, for breakdowns like the one beginning at 3:27, where the piano is the focus, the piano performance shouldn't sound that artificial and inhuman moving from note-to-note.

The ending was fairly sudden & undeveloped, all things considered. Ideas were good, but the execution was lacking. The sound combinations never quite meshed at any point during the mix, which is where I felt the piece needed the most work. Feel free to work on it further and resubmit it. It's certainly got a lot of potential.

NO

Damn that larry! I kinda liked the intro.

Piano is really, really high and loud relative to the rest of the piece. Maybe it's my headphones, but it stands out like Christopher Llyod in his rendition of the Judge in Roger Rabbit.

and he talked just... like... THIS!

But I really like the ideas begin thrown around. Nice groove. Competent use of samples all around. The baseline is pretty unimpressive (da-da-da-da-da-da) and considering bass is the backbone of the piece, it wouldn't kill you to vary it up a bit.

And the fade out ending? FORBIDDEN

To dos:

Fix outro, make a quote, unquote REAL ending

Re-equalize the piece, starting with the loud-piano

Work on druming

Do something with that bass

Resubby

NO

This mix has a lot of potential.

I would say that the piano definitely needs some work. It's too loud and has no dynamics to it at all, the way it's been eq'ed makes it stand out like a sore thumb. Drums and bassline are quite repetitive, need to be mixed up somewhat.

This mix could be much more with some more tweaking to it. Almost there!

NO

(Please resubmit)

The piano could be softer, but I didn't have any grave issues. It's pretty typical of this genre to have it fairly strong and bright so it can cut through a dense mix like this. I would at least decrease the velocities a bit as there is some clipping during the stronger sections.

I loved your last mix on the panel, but this one just is fairly typical in the composition, sound design, processing department. It's certainly above average, but the execution is a bit disjointed and the transitions don't work well in my opinion.

As suggested by others, I would work more on trying to get the sounds to work better together. The synth textures and synths just don't sit in the mix as complimentarily as they could.

Needs more work, NO.