*NO* Legend of Mana 'Earth Painting'

djpretzel

Is this the original title? Anyone know the original well? - djp

email sub file Dan Johansen - Legend Of Mana - Earth Paintings.mp3

Sorry, had no chance to link my music.. hope it turns out well..

Contact Info

My remixer name: LunarHeartHeaven

E-mail: lunarheartheaven@yahoo.com

ReMix Info

From game: Legend Of Mana

Song Name: Earth Painting

Composer:Yoko Shimomura

Comment: Used Cubase SX 1.01 as base software for composing this tune..

Used Edirol Orchestra for Backing Track..

Record of guitars recorded by me...

Mixed with standard Cubase SX mix elements..

Felt like making more "in your face" version of the music.. I wanted a little more intencity to it..

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/LoM_psf.rar - 111 "Earth Painting"

Don't feel like it's worth an override. Very close to the source (the remix doesn't even have a different name either), but the synth guitar work at least played around with the melody a bit or whatever. Arrangement definitely wasn't up to par at all though, though the new brass & string composition at 2:13 was a welcome suprise late in the game.

The production on this was awful when the guitar was involved and the sound was full. Just a cluttered mess from :10-:51 and other sections like it. Learn when to appropriately scale some things back.

Don't feel like saying too much more beyond that. Decent attempt at a remix in concept, but the execution was awful. Research the material at the ReMixing forum and obtain feedback at the Work-in-Progress forum, where I feel some of the more obvious mixing problems could have easily been addressed. Pretty rough-sounding submission, but feel free to try again with another mix after you gain additional skills.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah.. I like the original, and I think it's an under-appreciated soundtrack, but this really is lacking in a lot of areas. For one, while the guitar playing technique sounds solid, it's overly-distorted and poorly mastered. It sounds very mono too, as opposed to the wider stereo field of the rest of the instruments, which, on a side note, don't really fit in. Heavily overdriven guitar plus orchestral percussion and melodic instruments doesn't really seem to fit in this case. The orchestral parts themselves don't even do anything interesting, simply repeating themselves rhythmically and tending to play weird variations of the chord progression that end up sounding muddy and "blah". In addition, there is clipping throughout.

I would suggest first finding a way to make this YOUR OWN interpretation. As is, it's not really different than the original - in fact, in pure sound quality, it's actually worse. If you're going to go with the guitar motif, clean that up, and then try adding elements that would fit more with the distorted sound. If you need help with these, the Remixing forum here is an excellent resource, as is the SoundTempest (http://www.soundtempest.net/) music resources/help forum.

NO

Pretty much already covered by the others, so I'll reiterate the key points for me. Arrangement isn't as interpretive as it should be. Then the clipping issues. As far as the guitar, I too agree it sounds mono and overly distorted.

Whether or not the guitar fits in with this style of arrangement, I think is is a personal taste issue. It's a tough call. I don't have grave issues on that front.

I did like your orchestral sequencing. Very nice use of edirol. Might want to tone down the reverb just slightly on that though.

Keep at it.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The guitar sort of has a karaoke feel to it, by which I mean it doesn't mesh terribly well with the other sounds; I like the idea of having the guitar, but I don't feel it was mixed in with the rest of the "ensemble" very fluidly.

Plus, there's a good deal of clipping and the ending was quite a letdown. I actually kind of enjoyed this, but there are just too many little problems for it to pass.

NO