Eclectic Rock/Electronic Album- "A Time We All Forgot" by Wave One

DarKalli

1775396625-1.jpg

This is a project that began two years ago on the night before Warped Tour ’09. Aiming to create a nostalgic and atmospheric track, we created a song entitled “A Time We All Forgot” under the artist name Tryp. It wasn’t until a year later in the summer of 2010 that we came back to the project, creating two new songs, “Dark Jungle Mind” and “The Senses Repeating”. Regrouping later that summer, we completed the rest of the album in just about two weeks.

We started these two weeks with “Time Will Tell”, leading the project in a more “pop” direction than previously planned. We met almost every day to write and record, letting the empty Arizona cans pile around, cranking out one or two songs each time; “City Living (Little Life)” and “Skylit Dream”, “History in the Making”, “Strange Now” and “A Night Like This One”, “Downtown Club”, and lastly “Nostalgic Wind”. The name Wave One refers our ability to think on the same wave of thought in order to collaborate in our song writing.

Over the course of the school year, the album had many delays in release due to the long process of creating the art and occasional tweaking of songs. It’s been nearly a year since the album was technically finished, but now it’s more finished, and we both agree that it is a much better album because of the delays. The result of all our efforts is an eclectic and exciting album with no two songs that sound the same, a journey of music. We sincerely hope you like this album as much as we loved making it. Happy listening!

http://waveone.bandcamp.com/album/a-time-we-all-forgot

PS. Feedback especially on the production and mixing would be much appreciated! :]

i don't know, it was kind of creepy. the rain kind of drowned out the piano (pun, hehe.) I guess that what's you intended? The vocals weren't bad but they were, well, how shall I say it, a little too apathetic, even for emo music. he kind of sounded like he didn't really get enough sleep, :sleepdepriv: kind of amateriush, and there wasn't really any emphasis on the articulation. no offense but the lyrics themselves weren't really that inspiring, but oh well.

i liked song 2 because it reminded me off raptor: call of the shadows, an old apogee game for dos, that i played when i was a little kid. No offense, but i didn't really care for the lyrics too much, they just seem uninspired and didn't really move me emotionally. =P

anyway, i don't want to take all of the fun, i'll let someone else do the reviews of the rest of the songs.:razz:

Yeah, that piano/rain atmosphere was intentional. Could you clarify on how we could improve articulation and lyrics? We're trying hard to improve our vocal and lyrical abilities!

I'm glad you liked the second one! The lyrics for that one aren't supposed to be very emotional, they're just supposed to paint a picture of this run down dance club, but I could see how that might not be what you enjoy.

Did you listen to the other songs? Every song is very different, and I love hearing feedback. Thanks for listening :]

Yeah, that piano/rain atmosphere was intentional. Could you clarify on how we could improve articulation and lyrics? We're trying hard to improve our vocal and lyrical abilities!

I'm glad you liked the second one! The lyrics for that one aren't supposed to be very emotional, they're just supposed to paint a picture of this run down dance club, but I could see how that might not be what you enjoy.

Did you listen to the other songs? Every song is very different, and I love hearing feedback. Thanks for listening :]

i dont know, the music itself kind of paints a picture of a run-down dance club...the lyrics are kind of overkill imo...the rain thing was more like constant rain with a hint of piano, most songs have piano with a some ambient rain, but i guess its up to you. here is an example of me imitating the style of the first song, and me doing it somewhat better:

stats.png

also, here are some sample lyrics:-D: stats.png

icy memories of the past

cold and broken, shards of glass

Will I reconcile the hurt

Will I reconcile my heart

Did anyone actually check out what this thread is about?

haha sorry, erineclipse stole the show.

I'lll have a little listen to a few of the tracks - a whole album though is quite demanding.

OK.

TRACK 1 - I'm not a huge fan of the dissonances - i guess it does make me feel depressed about city life. Yeah, your voice - i think it works as a kind of "I don't care" thing but i see what erineclipse was talking about. When the "something something stuck in a bubble" voice comes in it gets kinda lost because it's so low and most of the other instruments are around that frequency range.

TRACK 2 - I think the vocals are a little quiet here - through the whole track. And the last word on most of the phrases is often out of tune i don't know if that was intentional or not.

Time will tell - The piano doesn't sound hugely convincing - the right hand sounds very mechanical and strictly in time with little humanisation - it's clearly a repeated phrase with exactly the same velocities each time - might be on purpose? I don't like the cymbal samples in the intro - they just kinda make everything a bit messy in my opinion. I enjoy this song a lot more than the other two though. Your vocals kind of suit this one a little more but they're still a bit quiet. Yeah I think there's a lot of potential in that one. You're not really singing with passion ever but if that's your style then sure but maybe make it louder or make it more purposefully "not singing". I'm liking the chorus though.

That's all i'mma listen to for now. Are ya gonna sing your heart out? Time will tell.

There's a lot of stuff you do right though and i'm just kinda ignoring that cos you don't need to know that, so don't feel disheartened.

Keep rockin' Wave One

That's some good feedback, I see what you're saying about everything you mentioned. Adding emotion to our vocals and keeping on pitch has been an uphill battle, but we've definitely improved from when we started. I definitely see what you're saying, we'll keep trying! Any tips?

We're also trying to get a cleaner sound and use more convincing instruments. The piano was just looped, and looking back it was pretty lazy. Interesting that the cymbals made TWT sound messy... I'm always trying to find what's keeping my songs from the quality I find on here. Any tips here would also be much appreciated!

That's some good feedback, I see what you're saying about everything you mentioned. Adding emotion to our vocals and keeping on pitch has been an uphill battle, but we've definitely improved from when we started. I definitely see what you're saying, we'll keep trying! Any tips?

We're also trying to get a cleaner sound and use more convincing instruments. The piano was just looped, and looking back it was pretty lazy. Interesting that the cymbals made TWT sound messy... I'm always trying to find what's keeping my songs from the quality I find on here. Any tips here would also be much appreciated!

I totally get what you mean about vocals being an uphill struggle - OCRemix seems to kind of be focused on super clean super polished stuff and that's really helpful but i wouldn't post personal stuff here as I use productions for other means and things aren't always supposed to be perfect. So I'm kind of sucked into the OC way of thinking - not that i think it's a super bad thing or that everyone does it, it just seems like an overwhelming response.

Yeah, I wouldn't be the one to ask production-wise - i'm also trying to get things to that magic-level! It's really easy just to point out all the things you think are bad when you're just given something to critique - you have nothing to lose and it makes you feel better to be like THAT WAS RUBBISH, THAT WAS RUBBISH - of course i don't think people consciously think this buuut it's easy - ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERNET!

Anyway you can critique me too, so i don't stand from a "i'm perfect" perspective telling you everything wrong! haha, and i'd love to get some more plays. BUT JUST SO THIS DOESN'T GET OFF TOPIC we can save convo about that for another time - http://worldmaplostandfound.bandcamp.com/

anyway, i guess my issues were only with the vocals - it's a tricky thing to know what you're comfortable with and i suppose with more time you get used to that a bit. But experiment with really going for it and seeing what happens. A lot of the time confidence is what holds people back. And then produce the vocals well - most singers (who aren't all that confident in their voice) will turn their voice down in the mix - it should be one of the loudest things! Try doubling vocals/adding harmonies or applying some delay to the vocals to really give it some weight!