*NO* Heroes of Might and Magic 2 'Sandro's Skull Pile'

DragonAvenger

Dear lovely people at OC ReMix...

I trust today is treating you well!

My ReMix is called 'Sandro's Skull Pile' and is both attached to this email and can be found here: http://www.myspace.com/lord-kilburn or should you prefer it, here:

ReMixer name: Lord Kilburn

Email address: lordkilburn@andyclarkpiano.co.uk

Forum user ID: 44731

Name of game arranged: Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Name of individual songs arranged: Necromancer Town Theme

Additional info: PC turn-based strategy game, 1996 3DO. Original composer to the tracks is Paul Romero

Link to original music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRT-p3Du8F0

This is my 2nd submission (haven't received feedback from the 1st yet), from my self-comissioned project to remix some of the tunes from Heroes 2. In the 2 main sections I have kept quite faithful to the original in terms of chord sequence and (after some work) nailing that cracking arpeggiated piano riff - which comes back in towards the end using the synth. The final bit of piano is based on the riff, but I've changed the notation and style, somewhat Matt-Bellamy-esque. (Muse)

When I did my first mix of this, I didn't think it was suitably scary enough to be associated with the Necromancer class... so i added some screams in the middle section. (Note... I didn't scream anything. Honest.)

Another thing which bugged me for a while was the title... was trying my hardest to use the prefix 'Necro' but everything I came up with sounded too much like 'Necrophiliac', which isn't good for anyone's PR, yours or mine. I also thought of 'Necro-dancer' but that was utterly effeminate... So, I settled for Sandro's Skull Pile - Sandro being the name of a HOMM2 Necromancer Hero, and the Skull Pile being something you could purchase in the town.

Anyway, hope you guys like it, keep up the good work and hope to hear from you soon (ish).

All the best

Andy Clark (Lord Kilburn)

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty nice soundscape, with some cool effects and a pretty solid balanced, though when the lead guitar comes in, it's a bit buried. Some of the other elements seem a bit far back too, like the piano.

Arrangement wise, this follows the original pretty closely. I'd definitely like to hear some expansion in the theme, as well as a guitar solo or something. The guitar tone is really nice, so hearing more of that would be pretty nice. The intro sounds really serene and friendly for being part of Sandro's skull pile.

Overall this has a lot going for it, but I think it needs a little more focus, and a bit more expansion.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

I felt the first minute and a half followed the source very closely, in both style and structure. When things do pick up, you're still sticking close to the original, although there's more stylistic expansion. Overall I think you can add a lot more interpretation to this overall, and add more of your own touch.

The sounds overall are pretty decent to good, but as Andrew mentioned, there are times when the balance isn't as solid as it could be. For example, the backing piano gets a little clunky at the 2:25 section when it's hitting chords, and the backing elements are buried as a result.

I think if you can add more interpretation as the bigger element that needs fixing, and tweak some of your levels, you'll have something going here.

NO (resubmit)

interesting take here. the soundscape is really washed out, but it works. I really liked the gritty drums that entered later. the transitions weren't great though, and I agree the guitar was buried, and could have been brought out and eq'd brighter. the arrangement is pretty conservative, although it spreads its wings a bit more near the end. I might be okay with it if the production and transitions were polished up a little more, but there's definitely room for interpretation. there is some distortion in the right channel at 1:16 too, sounds like a rendering glitch though, not sure.

a little more work could put this on the frontpage, but still I enjoyed it quite a bit as is. I hope to hear it again sometime.

NO(resub)