Your real name: Trey Dieterich

Your email address: SuperTrey09@yahoo.com

Your website: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000184377873

Your userid (number, not name): 45330

http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=45330

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Paper Mario

Name of arrangement: Now I Am Become Bleck

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Evil Count Bleck, Closing Battle, and Champion of Destruction

Additional information about game

Composers: Naoko Mitome, Chika Sekigawa

System: Nintendo Wii

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc:

Programs used in the making of this include: Steven Slate Drums, Fruity Loops Studio 10, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, many different samples, soundfonts and patches in FL, and live guitars recorded direct into Pro Tools 8 LE where everything else was mixed. Some audio leveling in final stages were done in Audacity as Pro Tools doesn't bounce mp3s (If there's a plugin to buy then it's a waste of money I don't have lol).

I recently started playing Super Paper Mario again after finding it in a pile of games I was going to sell and came to find out I hadn't made it very far whenever I had previously played it. So I decided to complete it. As I progressed through the game, I found Count Bleck to be a very interesting character with some pretty cool yet eerie tunes. As I made it toward the end of the game and battled against Bleck, I realized that the battle theme was kinda lame in my expectations. It was a good theme but I started to wonder what Bleck's battle would seem like if he had a kickass metal theme playing in the background. Since Bleck is a destroyer of worlds a metal theme suits him well. Therefore the title based on an old saying is "Now I Am Become Bleck."

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pretty cool arrangement of the themes, though the mixing isn't quite right. It feels like there is a *ton* of headroom in here, which makes it sound not as powerful as it could. The balance seems overall pretty good, but it's just so quiet.

The drum programming is excellent and varied, and the guitar performance overall is good, The keyboard ideas are tasteful, and overall I really enjoyed it, but the production needs to be normalized to clear out all that excess headroom. Please resubmit this, it's really good.

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, right off the bat, this is sounding intense. Annnnnd, immediately I see what OA's talking about with his vote. The mixing is jacked. It's always a shame when you hear a metal track where the performances are intense, yet the production makes everything sound muted and distant.

Work with whoever you can that has a better ear for mixing, take your lumps and re-balance this. The performance itself is badass and a total pass as far as the arrangement, you just need to production to also bring it for the most part.

This doesn't need impeccable production quality, but it does need to be more reasonably balanced/normalized. As long as you can get it improved significantly, resubmit this and we'lll very quickly fast-track a vote on this. We DEFINITELY want this posted to the site in some form, Trey, definitely do not drop this one.

NO (refine/resubmit)