*NO* Tetris (GB) 'Tour of Russia'

djpretzel

Hi this is Sammo, a/k/a Sam Gabay. This is my second attempt at a submission. I hope this one will be more suitable.

The song I have remixed is the music from tetris. I call my remix "Tour of Russia" because it encompasses several styles of music , including an interlude with a "Russian folk-song" feel.

I hope you like it!

Regards,

Sammo

"I must break you"

--Ivan Drago

Very rarely in my judging career am I intruiged by the first few notes. But here it is, at long last!

The questionable quality of the samples doesn't interfere too much with the often-enjoyable arrangements. However, this piece suffers *heavily* because of what I like to call dry repetition. That is to say: repetition that doesn't add anything to the whole of the piece. Or put another way, repeition that could better used as something different/varied.

Many instances of this piece are dry repetition. And with such wonky samples, it becomes that much more important to mix up the piece.

it's a NO

simply because the repetition is really gratuitous, and you've more than proved you have an ear for composition... so use it, komrad.

I found some of the arrangement, particularly the section with the piano in it, quite enjoyable.

However, there are many parts in which the quality really was not up to oc standard. I'm talking about the mainly cheesy samples, especially the salsa like bit near the end that sounded like it came straight out of one of those style demos you get on cheap keyboards.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/tetris.zip - Track 2

Heh. Yeah, some of the samples were decent, like the strings and piano (thought that was too loud). Others were tacky (finger snaps, shakers, horns, vox samples). Wow, 3:38-3:55 really dipped the mix down in quality, as you had some extremely generic and exposed electronic sounds attempting to go for the salsa style.

Some of the weaker sounds wouldn't be so bad, except that your sound balance is way off. The volume on most of the instruments and sounds needs to drastically be toned down.

I actually thought you had a great deal of variation in the arrangement on the whole. But the sounds needs improvement, and your volume and sound balance sorely needs to be examined.

NO

I thought the first 40 seconds were the strongest part of the mix. It seems to go downhill as it progresses. The concept starts to get a bit lost, the samples and use of samples seem to follow that trend also.

The string lines repeating at around 1:20 sound very forced and sequenced. Try to liven it up a bit more. It shouldn't be so rigid sounding.

I did enjoy the solo violin sequencing near the end though, definitely some sophisticated stuff going on there.

My main problem with the mixing and mastering here is everything sounds fairly centered. Try to use more of the stereo field. Don't bunch all the instruments too closely together.

Pretty good arrangement, but not enough to override the production and sample issues. NO