Secret of Mana - A Heart Unbroken

Link to the song:

Remixer Name: LordMaestro

E-Mail Adress: heydude6383@hotmail.com

Name of Game Remixed: Secret of Mana

Name of Song Remixed: Give Love it's Rightful Time

Original Composer: Hiroki Kikuta

Comments

This song was originally made for the Valentine Remix Project over at www.eonbluepatient.com. I've given it a little extra polish from that release, and decided to submit it. I really like the turn out. I was going for a jazzy yet dynamic (because love is dynamic, is it not?:)) mix.

I recently discovered that I mostly right all uplifting music, which is probably why I like Secret of Mana music so much. I used FL Studio, SuperWave P8, and 3xOsc as any notable equiptment used. Anyways, thanks.

LordM

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/sd2.rsn - "Give Love its Rightful Time" (sd2-34.spc)

Intro sounded chill; pretty nice. Some SuperGreenX-ish effects showed up at :18. Ah man; as soon as the melody kicked in at :33, the support percussion got really flat and plain. The piano sounded like it has no velocity work done on it. The percussion picked up in activity a bit at :49, but it still lacked depth.

We hit the chorus on piano at 1:06 and you just gotta humanize the piano work. 1:23-1:30 hit some seriously F-ed up notes. We get to some effects 'n crud on the support synths at 1:44 and the arrangement was literally breaking down until 2:16. Really poorly structured original section there. I had no idea what was going on with it; sounded completely random. The we hit another "just hit some the same key a lot and it'll be aight" break from 2:33-2:48.

Then the tempo increased...barely (and I mean barely; what was the point?)...at 2:53 and we retread the source tune melody against with some string work on top. Then we hit some brand new stuff at 3:24 and we get another new instrument/sound in there with only 24 seconds left. Um...what the hell, bro? Why did you even bother bringing it in that late? Anyway, either bring in some new sounds earlier or don't bother. In this case, whatever that was was very shrill and piercing, so scrap it.

The resolution at the ending was poor also. Make a meaningful ending; build towards something there and make it satisfying for the listener. Anyway, the arrangement of the actual source tune was decent. Mostly relied on altering the rhythms of the original with some minor additions. The track was also somewhat cluttered & muffly sounding. Sharpen it up.

Loads of potential for this one, but rework those messier sections (1:44-2:16 & 2:33-2:48), humanize the instruments (the piano in particular), and fill out the percussion. There were just too many pointless aspects of the arrangement that you've gotta get rid of. Hopefully you'll get some other good tips from the remaning votes. Decent work, Ross. I see improvement, so keep at it.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Some cool stuff going on here. The vibe is definitely very nice, chill and interesting.

Digging the pads a lot too.

The problem in this mix for me is the execution just isn't there. The concept is nice, but the structure I think could be improved on. Second main issue for me is the very robotic, static sequencing. The piano sounds too perfectly timed. The 1:23-1:30 section as already mentioned is seriously bad. Not sure why that's there? Also some of the note to note transitions for the pads could be smoother (outside the gated stuff).

Arrangement and production are above average. I think you focus a lot on the high range of the frequency spectrum, a little in the bottom end, but not much inbetween. Drums for example mostly consist of semi-bright snare and hats, it gets a bit redundant after a while.

Also, contrary to larry, I don't believe music of this nature needs to build into something per se. While I do agree, the ending could be more meaningful, what is here is typical of a lot of music of this style..so I can't put much fault on that aspect.

Above average, but it needs more work. NO

• 2 weeks later...

the strings/pads need a break. they arent harmonically interesting, they just take up space, and when the space is constantly taken, it ceases to have any value.

aside from that, there are some bad notes that sound awfully akward. the piano sequencing is pretty bad..not that it's robotic sounding, but the rhythms the piano plays are identical to the bass rhythms, and the chord structures are way too simple.

of course, in order to make the piano more complex, you will first have to fix the sloppy harmonies in the bass and pads.

a harmonic mess, poorly put together.

NO

Whole thing sounds muffly, like there's too much reverb. The leads aren't all that interesting; the piano and the weird flanged sound just play the melody in unison for a while. Pretty uninteresting.

Pads are boring too. Like Vig said, they just take up space and don't really do anything interesting. Percussion never really breaks out with anything interesting.

Bad note choices before 1:30! :(

Yeah, this is pretty messy. Needs a clearer sound; levels are weird, and there's too much reverb.

NO