*NO* Super Mario Land 'Digital Dreamscape'

djpretzel

Name: Digital Dreamscape

Remixer: Arglebargle

Game: Super Mario Land

Composer: Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka

I find the lack of Super Mario Land remixes very very disturbing, so I decided to re-arrange the ending theme, which is one of my favorite video game songs ever, regardless of platform.

I apologize for the file not being properly tagged, but I've been trying access my webspace to upload it for the last 3 weeks, and today it finally worked. I don't trust my provider Web1000 enough to assume that the uploading process will work again for another couple weeks, so I had to strike while the iron was hot. If you accept the song I can send you a properly tagged version or whatever.

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/sml1.zip

As I decide to judge a few tracks sans my own computer, listening to source tunes is out of the question for now, so I'll just have to judge on the finished product.

Only really recognized the Ending theme at 1:14, but I'm hoping it was used elsewhere. Pretty much the thing this needs is more processing and effects on the sounds to beef the sound up. Right now, the sounds are very generic and a bit too thin, despite setting up a laid-back vibe.

Stuff from 1:35-1:50 had seemingly random note patterns that didn't sound right at all. Unfortunately can't compare it to the source, but in any case I felt the composition as presented here didn't have much in the way of note patterns that came across as sounding purposeful. Everything just meandered around a lot.

Wouldn't mind hearing this one retoooled further for a resub, and the ending was decent (though it cut out abruptly), but 3:45 was way too much length with too little substance. Keep at it, bro.

NO

I really like some of the ideas here and the instrumentation is really nice. At some parts the synth under the melody is way too dominating, at times it just dominates the melody. The melody here should be a bit stronger. At times some of the passages sounded a bit too robotic also.

Some good ideas, but the execution is just lacking here. As larry mentioned, this needs some more. Beef up the ideas and build on this. Retool and resubmit.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

a bit too much groove independant of the source. i feel like you built this killer groove, but the source is completely secondary and trivial. You could have put any videogame song over it and it would have sounded just as cool. This problem is accentuated by the fact that the lead instrument sounds almost like something the gameboy could produce but all the other instruments are much thicker.

NO

Man, the groove in this thing is making my bias tingle. It's not a very dynamic mix, but it definately carves its own niche and hangs out. It's actually a pretty adept arrangement, but it feels a bit "muted". It feels like a badass intro for a big beat drop and crazy synthwork. I think that would alleviate a lot of the sound quality issues as well, if dynamics were more closely considered. There are plenty of interesting synth textures here, but they are being buried underneath the mix rather than up top where they should be when they're featured.

The arrangement is pretty liberal, no problems there, a bit on the original side, but hey - i'll take that over a MIDI Rip anyday. Let's get these parts where they need to be with EQ and compression, and we'll have a winner. GJ

NO

-D