DragonAvenger

-Danimal Cannon

-Daniel Behrens

-danimal201@yahoo.com

-http://www.facebook.com/danimalcannonmusic

-user id = 20643

Megaman 9 - Galaxy Man

Title - The Music Industry Is Horrible and So Is This Song

This is from a 2009 Dwelling of Duels competition. The track is meant to be a satire piece that emulates some of the more awful forms of music that have appeared in popular music recently. Some of the referenced works have been crunkcore by Brokencyde, dance-metalcore by Attack Attack (crabcore), and Linkin Park. This song is pretty offensive but I enjoy stirring the pot a bit.

Lyrics:

YOOOO

mothafuckin DOD,

VGMIX

CRUNK

I walk the world and I strut, you know that I have got it,

the sexy moves that kill, girls suck on my balls all night.

You try to emulate me, but you can't ever do it.

My hardware's much too big, I think you got "VGMIX'D"

I want that ass, it looks so good,

I play your game and I romhack it,

too bad you boys can't play her game,

oh well, fanfic? fanfic mother f**ker

I tried so hard....

I'm a straight baller, a shot caller, the east sides where I play the game

You're pissing me off, you gotta be in it to win it so come over here girl.

Its time to pay the piper, you don't want to get mail error'd

in (the) fucking shitbox baby, I don't want to have to do that.

I'm getting horny baby, why don't you just suck my dick?

SUCK MY DICK LIKE A BLACK HOLE IN THE CENTER OF THE GALAXY.

SPLISH SPLASH WOMAN, GALAXY MAN, WE'RE PARTYING OVER HERE.

I DONT THINK THEY READY, MUTHAFUCKIN CRAB CORE

I never said this would be easy

you've got to go all the way down

I know it hurts to love me so much

but I'm the man and you're the bitch.

METRIC MODULATION MOTHER FUCKERS

I want that ass.. repeat

It's time to pay the piper... repeat

THE FUCKING SHITBOX BABY

fucking cumpig

YOOOOO

I GOT 5 GUITARS RIGHT HERE,

DRUMKIT FROM HELL

METALZONE

EAST COAST

PARAGON

MOTHER FUCKERS

------------------

• 4 weeks later...

I laughed ridiculously hard here, the references throughout were amazing back then, and they are amazing now. I think the production aspects of a lot of this is holding it back though; the sections with the crabcore were pretty solid, and the bittersweet melancholy of the linkin park breakdown was good, but a lot of other sections felt crowded in the mids. Arrangement-wise, I think it could actually work, but the transitions right now are really limited, and in some cases, non-existent.

I think the track is excellent for a joke track, but needs some additional polish to get on OCR. :-)

No

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oooooh, drama, where do I sign up! I talked with Dan about this one way back at Nerdapalooza, so my bad for not voting on this earlier. I was talking to djp about it and he agreed that the commentary here was slim and deserved more, so our fault about that.

That said, this whole song is purposefully presented as a travesty, both with the ideas and the execution, so I'm not sure how a NO (or a NO with short ROFLOL commentary) is a surprise, but let's look at it. :lol:

Overall, I liked the arrangement ideas. That said, the sound of the execution is too weak, by design, for me to pass. The robo-vocals being mostly impossible to understand without the lyrics definitely took this down some as well. We can laugh about how it's probably better than you actually can't understand the lyrics, but the robo-voice effect just hits a weird (and crappy) middle ground where the lyrics sound like poorly attempted words and without going all the way toward Animal Crossing gibberish. :-)

So getting into it, whatever that first loud synth is at :08 is just brutal to listen to; it's done like that on purpose (durr), but it still sounds too loud/abrasive/default/amateur/ghettofabulous/poop.

OA mentioned transitions being weak, but I didn't agree at all. 1:02 to the strings sounded swanky as hell. Dayum, didn't know you rolled like that; nice work there. 1:46 and 2:07 (announcing the changeup even) were perfectly fine as well. The 3:03 transition back to the Galaxy Man melody was fine. Not seeing many problems.

2:29 was the one (and only) jarring change. The transition was (purposefully) weak, but not a big deal in the big picture. That said, the vocals were definitely mixed into the music the worst for that section, coupled with more loudly mixed, over-the-top ugly, vanilla default synths. Meant to be horrible and pulling it off nicely, it just doesn't make for a something that actually sounds good.

So the main issues for me: 1) The robo-vocals were too unintelligible, 2) the robo-vocals were also significantly cluttered by the synths for the 2:29-3:02 section, a decent chunk of the track, and most importantly 3) the purposefully jacked abrasive synths throughout most of this actually sucked so bad, it hurt the listenability too much. It's not sophisticated on purpose, but for here, at today's bar, it can't sound that jacked.

A purposefully bad ROFLOL travesty track that wins at sounding terrible doesn't necessarily make it a win for here. Independent of whether it's hilarious or not, it still has to have reasonably sophisticated sounds and overall quality for the pass. No hate, but sorry, Dan. I still would spoon you like a brother or other bald-headed non-family member.

NO