*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Quiescent Reeds'

DragonAvenger

Hi ocremix judges. I finished working on a DKC2 song, and the info is down below.

Contact Information:

Remixer Name: Chris | Amaterasu

Email: cwoo8888@hotmail.com

Website: http://www.youtube.com/user/8Amaterasu8?feature=mhee

User ID: 35078

Submission Information:

Game: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Name of Arrangement: Quiescent Reeds

Name of Song Arranged: Bayou Boogie

Link to Original:

Comments:

This is my 3rd remix completed ever, and whilst I don't have that much experience I tried to use all the things I had learnt thus far, even though everything took me ages. It was awesome fun though =)

The inspiration for this stemmed from procrastination during my preparation for some big medical exams that I had to sit.

And the main focus of this remix was to create an interesting/relaxing soundscape where the different elements from both electric and acoustic sources were interwoven throughout the mix. I relied on experience in chamber music to attempt this balance. I recorded a few instruments for this remix which included:

Acoustic Guitar : Washburn d10s

Electric: Ibanez SA260

Bass: Yamaha 374

My trusy violin =)

Thanks for your time,

Chris Woo (Chris | Amaterasu)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit torn on this track. On one hand, the performances are solid, with a minor exception of some timing/intonation issues near the middle/end. The soundscape is really pleasant between the piano, electric, and acoustic guitars.

On the other hand, the drums are super weak sounding, and very low in the mix. They could pretty much could be removed, and i'd never miss them. The arrangement follows the source very closely, but features some personalized backing elements.

Overall I am enjoying the direction of this, but between the intonation issues and the drums, I feel that the overall polish level isn't quite there. I'd love to hear a tightened up version of this, though, Chris. :-)

No, please resubmit

This felt a little directionless to me, and it wasn't just the mixing that was a problem. Since OA and DA have covered the mixing, which is the greater issue, I'll touch on the direction. There was too much throwing elements in the mix without thinking about whether they would go. I think the arrangement would be more effective focusing on one element at a time and simplifying the backing parts during those times. I just got the impression that the violin was playing way too many notes when it wasn't the lead, and it gave the arrangement a samey feel throughout, not enough variation. With better mixing, it's possible this could be overlooked, but if you're going to do another version of this, I'd strongly suggest simplifying some of the writing and thinking about whether parts need to be in each section.

NO (resubmit)