[........]

Depends entirely on whether it's a decent model or not. If you can get a model number, Google should be able to tell you. Keep in mind that you might need a preamp with phono input to use it -- unless it's a crummy turntable, it probably doesn't have a built-in preamp. You'll probably also need to replace the stylus. But definitely don't buy it unless you know what you're getting -- I got a decent turntable on eBay (Technics SL-DL5, if anyone cares) for $60 several years ago.

If the belt and the cartridge are alright, and he's willing to sell you the amp too, $100 isn't bad. Typically at my store if we get a turntable in we'll put it out for $15-25, depending on how nice it is. The amp is essential to actually hear the audio :P but you don't need the preamp, the amp can power it just fine. I have a technics QL12 from the 80s and it's scifi as fuck, amped by my dad's old Sony amplifier, really nice. I hope you got some speakers already!

Also, if you're starting a record collection, go troll some thrift stores, you'll be surprised what you can pick up for a dollar.

Why would you buy some ancient turn table that probably needs a cartridge replacement (which you will NEVER find) and plenty of mechanical wear when you can buy a brand new one for the same price? If he was saying $50 or less possibly but not for a hundred. Just buy one off of Amazon.