*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'The Battle Begins'

djpretzel

Email sub file the_battle_begins.mp3

First off, I'm sorry to send as an attachment. I looked into a few sites that would host my song, but no luck. On my song: just what you need, another FF7 remix, right? =). This is my first real remix, and I thought I'd go with something familiar to me. I love the site and thought I would try to contribute. Thanks a lot.

Song name: "The Battle Begins"

ReMixer name: "WigNut"

email: "wignut@gmail.com"

First strike to me, so I guess I gotta talk long

First thing that strikes me is, bonus points to you for trying something different. Yes, FF7 is a mire of submissions and mixes. So, I appreciate the forethought you took in not making it bread and butter.

Having said that, the volume levels are (unless my speakers betray me) too diseperate. The synth that comes in every once in awhile is massively loud. The drums, though detailed and complex, don't vary one iota. Considering how sparsely and simply the main instruments are playing, special care should be given to the drums, since they're acting like the glue, the foundation, of the piece. Not enough variation on the whole, too short.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 110 "Fighting"

That was some cool shit; I'll be keeping this. Pretty simple and sparse, but I liked it. In any case though, I agreed with Wingless about the drums, though I didn't feel it was quite the dealbreaker.

I'm always game for a phat bassline, so definitely keep that around. I really liked the high string runs from 2:18-2:38. They remininded me of my favorite Chrono Cross track "Earth Dragon's Island."

Nonetheless there wasn't much variation going on in the supporting elements of the mix. Bassline & drums need more attention there in particular.

Not too much going on arrangement-wise in the handling of the source theme when it comes down to it. Would have made it on the site back in the old days, and I'm digging it, but you just gotta be more these days homey.

NO

Yeah this is pretty interesting, and a really enjoyable listen. I'm with Larry on this one, arrangement was pretty straightforward for the most part, there were elements of expansion, but I'd like to see more of that, more creativity, interpretation. Try changing the structure around, play around with the theme more, etc.

I'd also like to hear more elements here, sometimes there's a melodic and bass element and simplistic drums. I'd like to see more attention paid to one area of the mix to give it a hook. Abrupt incomplete sounding ending also.

I like the instrumentation by the way.

Promising, but needs more work. I hope that you would consider resubmitting this. NO

Man I am so close to a YES on this. Samples weren’t great but were used well. The radio tuner intro/outro are slick and the percussion is tight. Great overall feel however I have to stick to my guns about using your time wisely in short mixes and not pass this. As has been said, the cool percussion doesn’t vary and the arrangement is somewhat conservative. Sparse sections like 1:00-1:24 are nice but more needs to be done with them in order to give this mix more impact. Really nice work that I’d love to see resubmitted, chocked full of 3:13 of even more interpretation and creativity.

NO Please Resubmit