*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'The Dreamer Departs'

OceansAndrew

Hello Judges, here is my first OC submission.

Your ReMixer name: Lidawg

Your real name: Liam Charalambous

Your email address: charalambousl@gmail.com

Your userid: 45748

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy X

Name of arrangement: The Dreamer Departs

Name of individual song(s) arranged: To Zanarkand (also called At Zanarkand)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmzZrj-cLSc (link to the original, just in case)

Comments:

The first time I played FFX I fell in love with the soundtrack, so much so that I have played To Zanarkand endlessly on the piano. I've not been doing remixes or music production long, but I knew that I wanted my next remix attempt to be this piece. The aim was to go for a chilled and ambient remix, but over the weeks it gradually kept changing more and more into something I don't know how to define. I've played and studied classical music my whole life, so I think this was an attempt to try and translate the scale and textures of orchestral music to a different genre. I don't know if anyone who hears this would say that I succeeded but hopefully this is a piece people can sit back and enjoy.

Regardless as to whether this gets accepted, I would like the judges to know that I am very grateful to DJMystix and Guifrog, Monobrow along with the Workshop mods who took the time to listen and give me feedback. It was really encouraging and stopped me just ditching this remix when I couldn't get things to work as I wanted.

I hope you enjoy :)

• 4 weeks later...

This definitely flirts with the main melody a lot without outright playing it verbatim, but manages to retain the feel of the original very well, despite a ton of new stuff added. The soundscape and feel is really good, and overallt he synths are meshing well.

I think the bass is a bit lacking, both in frequency response, and the quality of the synth, but the high end of the track is very nice. Overall the sequencing is smooth, except for the piano at the very end is super stiff. The drums don't do a ton either, but based on the intent of the track, I feel that they are fine.

This is super super close, and just needs a little more bass, and that piano at the end to be polished for me to vote yes on it. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew's pretty much nailed this. The arrangement itself is pretty good, and a lot of the time the song just flirts with the melody, but it's still there and solidly presented. On the other hand, there are some moments that the song feels so stiff, it's really taking away from the feel. The piano is the biggest offender, but there are a couple of synths that are guilty as well. A little more nitpicky, but some of the end sections felt a little overcrowded, and some slight adjustments might make the listening more focused as well.

Pretty close,

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I'm not gonna add much as the other judges have hit the problem points. I'm glad you mixed this source, very good choice. despite some of the synths being a little vanilla, this had a great sound to it, and the arrangement was really dynamic and flowing, good stuff. give the mixing and articulations another coat of polish, and some attention to the low end. this one will be a keeper. :)

NO(resub)