Email sub file Final_Fantasy_IX_End_of_Solitude_OC_Remix.mp3

I hope you enjoy my first ReMix.

Contact Info

Remixer: Phosco

E-mail: phosco@hotmail.com

Remix Info

Game: Final Fantasy 9

Song: You are not alone

Note: Sorry, but i have only a free account in Geocities and the only way i can put this remixed is attached with the mail.

Strings in the intro sound quite dry, as does the xylophone that follows it.

Drum beat doesn't seem to blend with the other instruments, and overall the rhythm sounds rather confused in parts. One gets the feeling that drum loops have been used here and just dropped on top of each other in some sections.

More than anything, what lets this mix down is the lack of groove, and that seems to be what the mix was relying on. Not enough original elements, repetitive in some parts, and poor drumwork (or poor use of drumloops more likely). Phaser effects and arpeggiators a mix does not make.

I would recommend more practice and making full use of the WIP boards.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF9_psf.rar - 409 "You're Not Alone!"

Bah. The sounds are cruddy and muddy. 6:19 for this? Nah, that's not what we're talkin' about. Bring some separation and clarity to the sounds with some judicious EQing. Very uncreative "original + beats" formula. The beats were actually alright at some points, so I don't mean to discount them entirely; heard some variation in there, though not enough, as they were often just keeping time. Might wanna add some musical caffeine to 'em somehow.

Hit the vox solo section at 4:17. First off, don't just cut out your beats like that; very tacky and beginner-ish, with no solid transition there. Also, don't mud up the vox so much. The move back into the same old stuff at 5:43 just showed you were retreading without a well thought-out transition there as well.

Malcos pretty much nailed it. Weak attempt at biasing us with the groove, weak arrangement, and weak overzealous use of effects.

NO

I wrote this vote while eating Mexican rice & chicken and watching the Jerry Springer show. Ghetto!

This is indeed messy. The drums/perc don't at all fit in this.

Phasers are tricky as they can add substance to a mix, but in this case they can really mess up a mix. It just sounds very chaotic.

Larry is right the whole mix is very muddy. This needs a lot of EQ work. Focus on cutting some of the lows and boosting some of the highs.

For a slow chill piece like this, I think this also needs more clever processing. I'd like to hear this with clever long reverb trails. It sounds quite dull as it is now.

The arrangement itself is very conservative. Compositionally and as far as presentation I think this is really hampered by the cloud of sounds here. The synth should stand out a bit more. I think this needs more meat and substance as well.

I actually liked the choral parts at 4:30 and reaching the end points, I think there was progress shown in your abilities.

Don't be discouraged, this is pretty good work for your first submission, but this isn't there yet. This needs a lot of work. Please use our Works In Progress forum to get feedback on your new works/before you submit. Keep working at it. NO

I think you need to work on making every second interesting. There are entire minutes of this piece that are either repeats of other sections or are simply not engaging (0:00-1:10, 2:23-3:19). Make sure you pay just as much attention to the melodic elements as the percussive elements. There are a few parts where the melody is quiet and dead center while the drums are panned and flying all over the place. Pretty groovy stuff here but take some of the advice given above and in the WIP and Remixing forums and beef up your style. Then come on back with another submission :D

NO