Email address: lordzheep@gmail.com

Userid: 23652

Submission Information

Name of game arranged: StarFox 64

Name of arrangement: Trust Your Instincts

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Select Menu

Link to the original soundtrack: http://ocremix.org/chip/11923 or

Comments:

The style of this song is inspired in part by Kaijin's "Rydia (Clean mix)" and Pink Floyd. The idea was to create something that wouldn't be entirely out of place on The Wall—something highly 70's in a slow, moody rock sort of way. It's a little minimalist as a result, especially as I didn't want to cram it full of drums everywhere. It's mainly about the piano and the synth. And in 5/4 time! The organ uses samples from a Roland MT-32 synth run through a few guitar pedals, such as a Boss CS-2 and a CE-5. The drums are from a demo version of Kontakt's Abbey Road 70's Drums. Authentic! I really wish I had worked in a guitar solo, though...

And of course, what is a StarFox song without cheesy samples from the game?

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pretty good start on a remix, but it feels a little conservative in a lot of spots, and some of the timing is off between the various instruments. A bit of the piano sounds mechanical as well, specifically in the faster passages. I would encourage you to increase the variation of the velocities. The ending is also not working for me, and sounds dissonant and ill-fitting to the rest of the song.

The good points are that you nailed the atmosphere and the sounds, the guitar is well performed, and the drums are interesting without being overly busy. I'd like to hear a revision on this that tightens up the performances, adds in that guitar solo you mentioned, and redoes the ending! :-)

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

You set up a nice style here from the original, definitely a good choice. As Andrew said, right now the track is just too conservative to the original. As you(and he) said, adding in a guitar solo would be a good idea, and I think you could do more to arrange the themes and backgrounds itself to get a little more of your own flavor into the source.

The production overall was pretty good, although I'd like a little more humanization overall in the piano, some of the straight notes are just too mechanical for my liking.

Fix this one up!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely issues with timing on this that are really distracting. Piano and the drums needs humanizing for sure as well. Overall pretty conservative, though not hugely so. Something a bit more original going on somewhere wouldn't go amiss. At the moment it feels like its plodding along, with not enough development. There is an overall dynamic build but it doesn't really move me. Also yeah that ending is totally ruining the feel also.

Like the other say, good start but you can improve on this a fair chunk.

NO, plz resub