*NO* Katamari Damacy 'Katamari Jam'

djpretzel

This has certainly got that jam feel to it…yep, that spur of the moment, improvisational, really fun to record, not as fun to listen to on playback feel.

I’m all for live instrument remixes but the problem comes in the difficulty of getting everything perfect, or at least acceptable. Drum timing is off in many places, rhythm guitar is sketchy, lead guitar unintentionally mutes some notes, and vocals are dry, in need of compression and not well integrated with the other elements.

It sounds like very little attention was paid to production. There is an audible hiss throughout, and everything sounds pretty far away. I actually like the recording and mixing of the drums however. With the right other elements they would sound really cool and 70s retro.

Hey, all of that being said, this is a short fun mix to listen to. Tighten up the production, work on drum timing, get better takes on the guitar and you should be cool Alfonzos.

NO

Fun piece, and of course I like the theme, but the performance is too sloppy and needs to be tightened up on the timing; some of the transitions (e.g. 1:33) were very poorly executed. The lyrics need to be more prominent and could also have slightly stronger delivery. The arrangement is also pretty short and underdeveloped; it was going fine until you retread the arrangement ideas at 1:34. If you're gonna do a piece this short instended for here, you shouldn't retrace your steps. Cool source tune, and a fun premise for the mix here, but more can be done with this.

NO

Production is a major problem for this track, but not nearly as much as the fact that it's essentially a straight cover with some riffs thrown in.

There's no effort to expand upon the original or even perform it in a different manner. It's the original plus some guitar licks and drum fills.

We don't do these here, sorry.

NO

-D

This has certainly got that jam feel to it…yep, that spur of the moment, improvisational, really fun to record, not as fun to listen to on playback feel.

Exactly.

In addition, Dan is right on. I don't know what more I can add without just repeating what was just said prior.

A fun listen, for what it is though. Expand your ideas/concept/arrangement, give it your own interpretation next time.

NO