OCR02707 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) 'Can't Boss Us Around (RAfH Mix)' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Remixers: HoboKa & Flexstyle

Source tune: Boss Boogie

Game: Donkey Kong Country 3

Composer: David Wise (I think)

Remix name: Can't Boss Us Around (Robot Anarchists from Hell Mix)

Description:

Apart from the rediculously long name, I think that Flexstyle did an awesome job sound-upgrading our remix; I also changed up some of the composition to make it less bland (hopefully). It's a lot more cyber-punky, mixed with industrial and a lot of other weird and cool motifs. I won't lie, this remix isn't exactly conventional in the way it was executed, but Emunator, Flexstyle and myself are praying that you higher forms of life will enjoy the remix :D

-----------------

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd say this is a huge improvement over the first sub. There are still a couple of issues, like some areas where the timing doesn't seem quite right, and some background note choices that aren't bad, but don't feel quite correct. I don't think they are to a point that would warrant a NO, however.

Welcome aboard

• 1 month later...

(vote taken mainly from my album eval)

Definitely a step-up from the many previous submissions in terms of production. Flex's NiN/DOOM-inspired production overhaul really makes the track a lot more engaging and enjoyable to me. However, the new edit has cut down on the source usage a bit, so I'll need to check it. Let's see...

0:00 - 0:15 (based off of the intro riff in the source)

Some background source usage in here, not dominant

1:09 - 1:25 (based off of the main riff in the source)

1:45 - 2:00

2:03 - 2:15 (chords only)

2:15 - 2:30

2:30 - 2:48 (only background source usage)

2:50 - 2:15 (technically continues to the end but I'll draw the cutoff here)

Song is 3:28 (208 seconds)so counting only dominant source usage that puts this at 86 seconds. I'll be nice and count the part that uses the chords very identifiably, which puts this up to 99 seconds out of 208. That's 47.5% source usage, with some other parts that have audible but not dominant source usage in the background. Pretty close, and considering you can still make out parts of the riff in the glitched up ending I'm not going to beat around the bush and count seconds here... It's borderline, but I think it just barely falls on the right side of that line.

Congrats on finally getting a mix up that seems to hold up to the quality bar, Alex, even if you had to get some help. I'm glad you were open to the critiques cause this one really clicks and works well for the source. The source usage will probably trip up Larry if he gets to this, but I'm personally okay with counting it since there's other parts that reference the original that are more pushed back.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't heard any previous submissions, so I'm coming to this fresh.

Production was nice overall. Really on board here with the chopped up beat and gritty, distorted synth work. One thing I'd say is the overall mixing felt a little cluttered/indistinct to me. Minor issue, though.

Personally, since they are featured throughout the source, you could probably consider the quick arp-type notes to be a source connection (Emu didn't appear to count them in his, but it looks like he didn't count subdued source stuff).

Can't say I'm a big fan of the source as there's not really a whole lot going on it it - so props to you guys for taking it about ten steps up.

Yes