ReMixers Name: EazyP

ReMixers Real Name: Pavo Miskic

ReMixers Email Adress: EazyP@hotmail.com

ReMixers Website: None worth posting

ReMix Info.

Name Of Game(s) ReMixed: Donkey Kong Country 2

Name Of Individual Song(s) ReMixed: Mines Background Music

ReMixers Comments:

We'll time for my 2nd submission here at OCR. My 1st one was just a failure so forget about it. This one, I think, I have a chance of getting in(or at least getting a resubmit). I noticed there where no Mines remixes in "Protville" and the ones I found...I didnt like, so I had to make my oun version.

We'll in most of my songs up to now people would say I make "randomn instrament choices." We'll I dont, I always try and mix real and fake instraments together. So I went all out with this song, part dance-y part orchestral. The song has done very well on Newgrounds Audio Portal & VGMix(On VGMix even getting on Akumajobelmonts toplist at #3, getting 500+ downloads in the 1st day and about 47 toplist points, on NG getting weekly 2nd and many good reviews)and Zircon told me he liked it and that I should submit it so here I am. I didnt change around the arrangement too much as it is perfect where it is, but dont set this off as a midi rip, its got alot to offer. The mix itself...wasnt to hard to make, I just kept testing out samples and I got the ones that fitted in(I'm no genious when it comes to music). The MIDI I used to make it was crap and pissed me off but I figured it out and got this done.

P.S:If this really does make it onto OCR I will probably crap myself, so cheers ^_^

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkq.rsn - "Kannon's Klaim" (dkq-s-01.spc)

I remember talking to Pavo briefly in #ormgas about this one being submitted, though I hadn't had a chance to check it out thoroughly until now. In any case, the production should have been a bit cleaner. Everything had an overall dullness to it.

1:25 is a pretty much a muffled sounding cover with different instruments and some minor additions. Dunno why you thought this would pass as is. I didn't hear anything from 1:25-3:16 that was substantially interpretive at all. Shouldn't be this easy to NO something so "acclaimed" but we're looking for a lot more here.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Individually I’m digging a bunch of the samples/synths. The intro oboe, pads piano and bells are nice. Come 1:25 however, the distortion and loads of reverb muds everything together. This combined with most elements sitting dead center creates a pretty cluttered soundscape in sections like 1:25-1:45. Sounds don’t have to step on each other’s toes to mesh well so make sure everyone has their own space in the mix.

Can’t really comment on the arrangement because it’s not there. Although there is some creativity involved in choosing samples and throwing a hi-hat beat on top of a midi, plenty of other remixers put in a lot more time and effort with their submissions and you shouldn’t be afraid to get into the remixing trenches with them. They hang out in the Remixing and WIP forums if you’re interested.

NO

Well.. I hadn't heard the original when I had first said you should submit it, or if I had, I must have been thinking of the wrong song. This IS very close. I don't think the production aspects are all that bad - the percussion is pretty cool for instance (maybe vary up the 'splash' snare a bit though), and I think most of the instruments are used and combined tastefully. There is a bit of clipping in some parts; watch your volume levels or use a compressor/limiter. Also, using EQ on the different elements of the song (eg. the synth, the piano, the winds) to emphasize/demphasize certain frequencies can help carve a space for each sound. Otherwise, I don't have much more to say than the other judges. Simply go for more rearrangement.

NO

Where's the arrangement? As noted by others, it's a very basic and conservative interpretation of the source material.

I agree with the production issues here, the cluttered sound and the center-oriented panning in the mix doesn't help. Learn to place your sounds in the stereo field to create more distinction and balance.

An entertaining listen for what it is, but it's really not there yet on both aspects in my book. Keep working at it, and please use our WIP forums for future feedback before submitting. Best of luck.

NO