*NO* Eternal Darkness 'Where Darkness Resides'

djpretzel

Email sub file Where Darkness Resides - remix.mp3

My remixer name - Yoshi.

My real name - John Baddeley.

My email - Yoshi72@ntlworld.com

Website is being worked on atm.

The remixed song is from gamecubes Eternal Darkness and is called Black Rose (I think). I don't have a link to the original music though, sorry about that.I know pretty much nothing about the original music I just heard it once and decided to have a go at doing my own take on it lol.I've just registered on the forum after being a long time lurker, I can't find my userid (Nick Yosh).

The tune was done on my roland fantom-x, i'm still getting to grips with this beast so things aren't as good as they could be in all honesty.

Had a hard time reconciling this with the source tune that you thought it was from, cuz the source itself was so unmemorable (not to mention the fact that you're not quite sure what you actually chose to mix), but that's alright. "Black Rose" is definitely what you decided to mix. The arrangement was too conservative, in my opinion.

Sparse but decent opening for the first 55 seconds, though I felt it was a bit too long for a 2:56-long mix. Some of the note movements of the strings were iffy, but didn't quite set off a red flag until the track picked up at :55. Oooh, those were some very unnatural-sounding strings. A downright flimsy and pasted-on beat showed up at 1:15. :'-(

The piano breakdown at 1:35 was decent until some poorly used vox abruptly cut in at 1:45. A somewhat cool whistle-like thingamabobber (bah, sue me) arrived at 2:00, but that crappy beat came back as well. I liked the ethnic percussion, on the plus side. I noticed your bassline was too subtle, so punch it up a bit and make it more noticeable.

And a show of hands for whoever agrees with me, but there was this shift to acoustic guitar at 2:40 and that was the most interesting thing in the entire mix. WHY did you wait that long to bring it in??? And just to CLOSE the song? What??? Frankly, I'm not The Wingless, so I can't get away with saying this stuff without looking like either an asshole or a weirdo, but that string close was the ultimate cocktease. That was probably the most interesting idea in the whole damn thing and you didn't pimp it out at all.

Loads of potential and actually not a bad texture, but that needed to be a bit fuller as well. This was hampered by some poor sample usage for some of the sounds, the orchestral strings, the vox, and that weak-sounding beat in particular. Cruise on over to the ReMixing forum to look into how to improve the performance, then showcase what you've got in the WIP forum and see what kind of feedback the people give ya. Try to do more with the composition side of the arrangement as well. At times, it seemed as if you just took various sections from the original and replaced the instruments with weaker sounds.

NO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good samples. Some more attention to production and mixing would give them more pizzazz though. Use of purposeful panning, more reverb on the drier percussive elements, EQ work on the drums, and more sample variety could really add a lot of punch to this mix.

Unfortunately, this is too conservative a take on the theme to pass. There’s some limited arrangement but in general the source and the mix use the same instruments in the same way throughout which isn’t exciting.

You’ve got the hang of making a decent sound. Now make the sound more your own.

NO

this goes nowhere. it has very little attention to detail as far as i can see and the interpretation is hardly even that

if the issue was only its arrangement or only the minimal attention to EQ, i'd have more to say but as it is... its too much on the potential side and very little on the manifestation side.

NO