*NO* Starcraft Broodwar 'Terran it Up'

djpretzel

Gonna run without the source but hope the arrangement criteria is covered. Someone feel free to check that out. Fake sounding strings opened things up. The piano had no performance dynamics at all, and neither did the strings. The tambourine was a bit too loud, so you may want to pull that back.

Cool idea to change the flow at :56. The string composition felt pretty aimless from around 1:11-1:23, and that was a bit of a problem throughout most of the piece, as most of the supporting elements felt pretty scattershot.

From 1:17 you had some swelling that just managed to drown the other instruments out. Another interesting changeup at 1:39 which I liked though. I liked the piano activity there, but wish all the notes weren't at the same velocity.

Alright samples here, but they were used in a lazy manner. This was decent work but was lacking in performance dynamics the whole way and compositional direction for parts of the piece. You did have some good compositional dynamic work with some of the stylistic changes, but that was the main positive I had. Keep working on it, bro.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

remix name = :)

remixer name = :(

i played too much starcraft, so i know while this follows the structure of the original closely, the style is very different along with changed emphasis of various parts.

fusing a kind of romantic instrumentation with a dance beat is interesting, and in the hands of a skilled remixer this could work.

in this case, it's not bad or anything, but the execution leaves me unsatisfied.

the samples and sequencing come off as amateurish, the mixing feels unbalanced and limited in spacial depth.

no

remix name = :)

Credit to DeathBySpoon for the remix name suggestion.

I was unable to find the source but I vaguely remember the tune and analoq is satisfied with the level of arrangement so I'm good.

Compositionally I don’t think enough is here to justify a 2 minute mix.

Sound quality is hurting this piece. The kick is absolutely lifeless which leaves the low end feeling weak. In future efforts you might try to get a fuller sound by layering two or three kicks, adding distortion or playing with the EQ. The rest of the percussion track was similarly lacking, especially the snare, so be sure to find ways to thicken up those sounds as well. Application of chorus, reverb, pitch changes and delay are some odeas that could be explored.

The piano sample was decent but it’s usage isn’t. I think much of the mechanical feel is coming from the lack of dynamics that Larry mentioned. The high individual piano notes aren’t too bad but the low supporting chords could really benefit from some careful velocity editing. I enjoyed many of the strings. The lead solo violin, though somewhat repetitive, is made pretty dynamic by the sharp attacks and variations in velocity. The intro strings might have been concealed a little better, since their quality isn’t really that great.

Good work but a little more practice is needed to get more out of your samples and you mix. Keep hanging out in the WIP forum.

NO