*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Undersea Tech'

djpretzel

Well... here is my first remix. hope it meets the standards in...

awesomeness.

Remixer name: Dr. Adam

Email: kirbunkle@hotmail.com

Game remixed: Chrono Trigger

Song Remixed: Undersea Palace

Remix name: Undersea Tech

Comments: This is one of my favorite snes songs, and I forgot where I was going with that.

Anyways... I think this mix keeps pretty close to the original, but also is a lot more intense.

enyoy.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Undersea Palace" (ct-3-08.spc)

About :30 in and I'm not feeling much to this beyond changing the instruments and adding some loud percussion. The sounds mudded together and the production was poor. The strings, e-piano and winds all needed work. I liked some of the swirly/ambient-ish sounds goin' on here.

Honestly, this wasn't a bad go at attempting a straightforward arrangement, but the execution was sloppy. The track basically looped at 2:27, as there was nothing particularly different about the source arrangement the second go-around.

Gotta be more interpretive or expansive with the arrangement, and hit the ReMixing forum for more work on separation of sounds, avoiding clipping, and other fundamentals. Use the WIP forum for more feedback and criticism before future submissions.

NO

Not bad but this is a very straightforward adaptation; this mirrors the source instrument choices, structure, and even uses the same panning of the percussion and some of the supporting elements. I can’t pass this based on that alone. Bottom line is that I can’t hear any of your creativity shining through the good musical base that the source has provided.

You mentioned that you were going for more intensity than the original but this mix doesn’t exactly deliver. It’s louder than the source and the percussion is more prevalent but more intense a mix that does not make. Like Larry said, most of your elements mud together. The lead and supporting instruments need better sonic separation. Even if they were separated the repetitive percussion is overwhelming much of everything else. From 1:04 for example I can barely hear the lead strings under the kick and the loud piano. I like the piano sample and it has the potential to achieve what you were going for but just like the percussion, it has to stay in its place.

Some of the FX/processing are interesting such as the flanger on the ride and some of the ambient stuff that makes it through the percussion. Make sure that your levels are kept in check to avoid the clipping that pops up here and there.

Creativity and originality are the name of the game Adam so work on expanding on the source material in future mixes and check out the WIP and ReMixing forums for help with the production as well. Keep working at it.

NO

There's annoying crackling with the arp. bell type instruments at the beginning. Not a pleasant way to start things off. Then we get to more elements following that with no dynamics. Enter overly loud drums...

I love the ambience and atmosphere you've created with the mix, but this needs so much more arrangement work. This is way too conservative. Too straight up a take on an often mixed original.

On top of that the production issues here are too much.

Needs much more arrangement work, production fixing, balance between the loud drum/perc and the other elements. NO