*NO* Gradius 3 'Taming the Viper'

djpretzel

Hello,

I am new to the art of remixing, but I've been working diligently on this take of the Weapons Load Out Theme on Gradius III (SNES). Here's the link and some info on it.

CONTACT INFO

Who=Reasoner

Artist Name = Reasoner

Real Name = Ryan Stevens

Email = rms2q@mtsu.edu

REMIX INFO

Game = Gradius III (SNES)

Indv remixed song = "Invitation"

Add Info = The composers were Kazuki Muraoka, Kazuhiko Uehara, Harumi Ueko, and Yukie Morimoto. The game was released for the Super Nintendo in 1992.

I'm not sure, but I believe this game is not yet featured on your site.

Comments = I've always loved the music in this game, and when I hooked up my friends old SNES and started playing it, I knew I had to do my own remix of it. It's such an epic sound and style that it just makes you feel like you're about to set out on something great. I wanted to give the theme a heavenly, yet driving feel to it. Hopefully you guys will enjoy as much as I have writing it. Thanks for consideration

Please contact me if any of the links do not work. I really appreciate this.

Sincerely,

R. Stevens

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/gd3.rsn - "Invitation" (gd3-03.spc)

Decent intro up until the source tune was brought in with a generic electrosynth at :58. The beatwork was fairly plain and didn't drive the mix forward at all. The claps in particular sounded pasted on top of the music and didn't mess well. Some of your sounds probably need some individual EQing tweaks to create some separation; everything sounded cluttered together and muddy. Without all the reverb here though, you'd be left with not a lot of elements in play; I don't like how the reverb was used to mask an otherwise thin combination of sounds.

The source started up again at 1:57 with an additive supporting synth, but that wasn't really enough in terms of interpreting the theme. I appreciated the piano arriving at 2:23 but felt that more rearrangement of the actual source tune melody was needed. Nonetheless, some of the piano sections were particular creative on the composition side, even if the sample itself sounded generic and robotically sequenced.

Some good ideas in the second half, but this was a relatively underdeveloped mix to me. Play around with the actual Invitation melody more if possible, check out the ReMixing forum for some advice on tightening up the production, and run your work by the WIP forum in order to get more feedback before submitting. Harmony will have some great suggestions on things you could do with this. Some potential here.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

maybe it's just my speakers, but the mix didnt sound muddy at all to me.

The biggest problem with this mix in my opinion is that it's only 3:xx long, and it's just barely getting started by the time it ends. The song is somewhat repetitive, but it slowly builds through the whole song, so i dont hold the repetition against it in and of itself. unfortunately the mix ends way too soon. it ought to be twice as long. otherwise i dont see how any of these ideas could be developed adequately.

NO

maybe it's just my speakers, but the mix didnt sound muddy at all to me.

I agree it's not muddy. Are you still using the BX8? They're known for being really bright and giving a less than accurate impression of the frequency spectrum.

Nice atmosphere and the piano definitely is the nicest element of this mix. It really gives it a new dimension.

I do agree with vig here, the main problem of the mix is it just sounds underdeveloped. The mix almost feels transportational slowly building into something and before that idea is even realized, we get an abrupt and short fade out ending.

More compositional and instrumental elements are also needed to help beef things up. The drums/perc do indeed sound pasted on, and sound relatively cheap compared to how the rest of the mix. I suggest using different samples and using compression and EQ, and even reverb to make it sit in the mix better and change the tone for the better.

Incomplete, but above average work. NO though.

Great work.... now finish it!

The simple 80's style synth works great here, especially the chords that come in at 1:27. The drums are pretty plain but they carry things along well with just enough variation though the constant high hats can become piercing at times but it's not something that needs to be fixed in order for the mix to pass. The rapid drum hits at 1:51 sound excellent and fit in perfectly with the whole 80's vibe. Fading in the synth line before 1:56 is a great way to introduce that part, allowing us to hear it by itself before it joins the ensemble making things fuller yet never too crowded.

At 2:54 when everything gets quiter and the piano takes center stage you have created an ideal situation for a transposition. It's a corny arrangement technique but this is one of those times when it would really work. At 3:23 you could bring the whole thing up to Eb with the original synth resuming it's role. You could then bring the drums back but have them play emphasises half as often as they did before.. that doesn't mean they slowdown it just means that the hard beats only come half as frequently. After about a minute of that you could switch the drums back to the way they were before maybe using something like what's at 1:51 to smooth over the transition adding another synth layer. At this point you'd be at about 4:30 and you could start to think about ending things. Obviously this is just one of many possiblities but you must do something to continue the developement and a transposition could help set things on the right path. I really like what you've got so far so please finish it up and send it back.

NO (Resubmit)