Outrun - It's a downpour (Magical Sound Shower) RESUB

Magellanic

Posting as Mod review as I think this is as good as I can get this arrangement plus I haven't had any other feedback, so hope that's ok :)

Source Breakdown:

00:00 - 00:20 - Extended version of source introduction's section B

00:20 - 00:33 - Source verse with added harmonies

00:33 - 00:47 - Source Chorus with variation of introduction's motif accompanying (brass synth)

00:47 - 00:53 - Source introduction section B on Rhythm guitar

00:53 - 01:05 - Variation/Original Verse

01:05 - 01:19 - Variation/Original Chorus

01:19 - 01:45 - Variation/Original breakdown section. Uses motif from the source's introduction section A

01:45 - 02:21 - Original solo section based off (uses same chords) the source's lead to the solo section.

02:21 - 02:27 - Source's introduction section B

02:27 - 02:40 - Variation/Original Verse section

02:40 - End - Variation/Original Chorus with Source's chorus as counter-melody

Source:

Remix: stats.png

I'm not sure there's really much else to say. The direction with this track is to go for a kinda upgraded 80's vibe (hence the fake brass synths). I think I've addressed the judges issues with the track ie: too much repetition,too much reverb, performance timing and arrangement focus.

Man the intro is loud. It loses energy when the guitar comes in. I don't think that makes sense, dynamically. :P

Source is ok. I know this mostly from older ocremixes. It's conservative, but I don't think it's too much so.

There's some nice 80s stuff in here, the intro and break/midpart have some really 80s sounds in there. Never a bad thing. :D

Kick might be a bit too low-heavy for this soundscape. Some of that fake brass could be less loud, it gets pretty annoying towards the end of the track.

The long guitar notes seem to pad the track out a bit too much. Dunno if that's a big deal here, but if nothing else, it's worth keeping in mind for future mixes. You lose some dynamics and impact from not letting up before drum notes. Some creative side-chaining might help, tho you shouldn't make it really noticeable imo. There's parts, like the ending, where it makes sense to have a thicker, less dynamic soundscape, but in other parts it might be worth doing some creative compressing. just know that in this case, not doing it is better than overdoing it.

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

- Timing not tight enough - there's some melodies in the first part that could be tighter

So close to avoiding the checklist. _SO_ close. :P

Short and sweet, not much else to say. Dunno how your subbed version was, but this seems to be above the bar. Nice work, Li.