Outrun - It's a downpour (Magical Sound Shower) RESUB

Magellanic

Basically this is a track I started a few weeks ago and have yet to finish. Perhaps I'm just needing some inspiration or encouragement to finish it. I dunno, either way I overhauled this last night.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcVk6ygHVE

Remix: Link Removed

(Soundcloud link if you don't want to download: Link removed) Check latest post

I had feedback that the samples sounded low-quality and that the beat needed to be altered. I have acted upon that feedback and hopefully this sounds better. All the synths are Zebra 2 and custom patches apart from the drums. Some patches I modelled on other synths I like and some are my own original creation. As far as structure goes, I've mixed that up a little bit. I've yet to add the crazy solo section.

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

hey! awesome mix :)

I think you need to change the hi-hat pattern. It will make an interesting difference (because of the bass line pattern). How about applying some reverb to the snare (or better replace it).

Interesting ideas on synth arpeggios and some synth layers here and there. I like the guitar sample. The track overall is giving me that 80's vibe.

Looking forward to the next update!

hey! awesome mix :)

Interesting ideas on synth arpeggios and some synth layers here and there. I like the guitar sample. The track overall is giving me that 80's vibe.

Looking forward to the next update!

Haha, it must be the FM synths that are emanating that 80's vibe :) I'll get the Hi-hat sorted and whack up some reverb on the snare. I'll keep the snare as it is, but perhaps fiddle with the parameters a bit or EQ to get some more body to it.

Cheers bud :D

The drums sounds like some of the weakest parts to me as well. It is definitely in need of a fuller sound. The lower end background synth could use some work too, although I'm not sure what would improve it.

The guitar sample sounds nice for a sample though, if mechanical at times - around 1:17 and a little afterwards that aspect gets exposed some.

Thanks for the feedback Bahamut :) Sequencing drums are just my ultimate enemy. Sometimes I think I'm actually regressing in ability when it comes to drums. Once I've finished the arrangement I'll come back to tweaking some of the background synths.

I think I'm going to have to re-record the guitars. Its not good that my playing is getting mistaken for samples :|

Oh, man I am bad at commenting sometimes :oops: .

But yeah, the guitar playing needs to be tightened up. It needs to sound seemless, pauses included. I say the high end could use a bit of dialing back too, but that's related to the need for more in the low end. I like the ideas there though, it just needs refining so it sounds full.

So....I finally finished the actual arrangement. Having that incomplete was annoying me more than anything else with this mix.

Basically what's new:

• Drums (Rock style)
  • Recorded Guitar - Previous version has live guitar but its DI with an AMP sim.
  • A new synth sound to add a bit more sparkle
  • Grit added to some of the other synths to make the guitar fit better

This isn't final production-wise but should give a good impression.

Remix: Link removed

For such an awesome build up that guitar kinda falls flat. It sounds like you might have chipped away at it too much with the EQ, guitars need alot of room and taming should be kept to a minimum. What amp sim are you using?

The guitar is recorded using an NT1a on a 30watt marshall solid-state amp. No pedals. No amp sim. used in the latest version. I rolled off the top-end with some EQ as it was just to harsh. I'll give it a bash with less chorus and different EQ. I've found it difficult balancing the synths with the guitar as the mix is more synth heavy.

I think the whole track is lacking a much needed bass uplift :smile: Also, the drums are too ... "light" for such an energetic arrangement. I love your synth layers (arpeggios etc.). Why not introduce some pads to form some ambience?
I'll experiment with some more pads. There is room but I dunno, I'm afraid of over filling the mix :)

So, I'm going to put this as finished......for the moment at least. Theres mostly mixing changes. Theres now bass guitar to give the mix a more solid foundation. The guitars have been brought forward even more as have the drums.

With regard to the guitar, the tone is as good as I can achive with my current setup. I've invested in some new equipment, but until that arrives I can't change anything. More than that though, I'm happy with it. I like the tone, even if it is a little bit weedy.

Remix: Link Removed

Feedback welcome and always appreciated.

Edit: Noticed that the guitar tuning is a little out so I'll fix that.....at some point :banghead:

Sounds great, but from what I've seen the judges are going to say it's too close the source and needs more variation.

You're probably right, but dunno. The biggest change is to the structure and the middle solo section which is derived from the break before the solo in the original. I really don't think I'm going to alter the arrangement (and that's not because I don't agree with you). I'll fix the guitar parts and leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, good work. I have no complaints. I'm sorry I don't have more useful feedback, but I still wanted to give my support. I'm no judge or anything, but this seems far enough from the original to me to be accepted.

Thanks, its appreciated. I think production-wise there might be a couple of things that need tweaking but as seen as there doesn't seem to be anymore feedback I'll put this as mod-review.

HEYO DAWG WAZZUP WANT SOME PIZZA?!1!

I really like this dance-rock trend you're going for, mr puppy! Funny thing is, there's times when I feel some exotic/eastern influences not only in this, but in most of your arrangements. As you may know, I love that feeling :P

I hear some clipping throughout, most noticeable at 1:12 for me, when the lead guitar seems to go backwards a bit. Then, at 1:52, it takes quite some space from the soundscape. There's lots of 'air' coming to my headphones from the reverb of some instruments, such as kick and snare, so I think reducing it a bit might help. That synth from 1:11 to 1:31 seems to play randomly instead of acting as countermelody, it's kinda lost on that section; possible to try something else that better harmonizes with the guitar and adds some dynamics to the chorus at the same time?

K33P 4T 1T

HEYO DAWG WAZZUP WANT SOME PIZZA?!1!

I really like this dance-rock trend you're going for, mr puppy! Funny thing is, there's times when I feel some exotic/eastern influences not only in this, but in most of your arrangements. As you may know, I love that feeling :P

Mmm, pizza :lol:. I'm glad you're liking my direction. There's still a bit of further settling needed with style for me. I basically like to cram in all the lovely things I love in various styles into one neat little package lol. I love my eastern/asian instruments, I'm just lacking in samples to utilize, else there would be an even heavier influence :)
I hear some clipping throughout, most noticeable at 1:12 for me, when the lead guitar seems to go backwards a bit. Then, at 1:52, it takes quite some space from the soundscape. There's lots of 'air' coming to my headphones from the reverb of some instruments, such as kick and snare, so I think reducing it a bit might help. That synth from 1:11 to 1:31 seems to play randomly instead of acting as countermelody, it's kinda lost on that section; possible to try something else that better harmonizes with the guitar and adds some dynamics to the chorus at the same time?
There indeed was some clipping. I haven't been using my headphones recently so missed it because it really was hardly at all audible on my cheapo speakers hehe. Basically in this version I have changed the counter-melody like you said so it is in harmony with the guitar. The old counter-melody has been moved to the end section as the lead. I liked it too much to just scrap it but definitely saw your point. I re-eq'd the snare and bass drum, took off a smidge of reverb. The claps have returned to a better level. The final change is I reduced the input on my limiter and EQ'd the entire track to give a bit more defintion and brightness.

stats.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, listening.

I feel there may be too much reverb on the drum kit. It doesn't feel too bad when things are sparce, but when they get crowded, they definitely add to some mud. The bass drum seems to have reverb on it that doesn't feel very necessary, even for that kind of 80s sort of kit. The snare can easily be a stylistic choice, but that much reverb on a kick is usually bad news all around.

Your guitars may be a smidgeon too loud, especially when you have synth work in the background, especially when they come in the beginning, I think it stands out great, so it couldn't hurt turning it down a tad (especially in the beginning when it's just playing straight melody), so we can hear some of that synthwork better. I feel it's just a bit overstated.

Also that lead synth that comes in the first ten/fifteen seconds, I think if you want it to have a bit more of a dynamic feel, reel in the release just a tad. It would probably help w/ rhythm vs. the long guitar notes, because you seem to be utilizing it to stress that OutRun triplet rhythm anyway.

Also there are parts of the song where things seem sparce in general, (after the first guitar section, where the bass and kick come in, and those synths are playing 16th notes, and the section after that where it's just guitar and drums) I feel you could really rock out there with some crescendoing pads or synths, really subtle, understated chord work.

Overall, this is sexellent, and as the song gets further in, I have less qualms, as you add more elements, except some muddiness because of the kit+reverb I think, and guitars a tad too loud again for me.

I do think that later/last brass synth that is kinda tremelo/flanging everywhere near the end could have a way better solo though, the notes are long and not as exciting as the previous guitar lead. Something faster-paced might be better. The synth itself is also just... very weird lol...

Anyway, nice work, and good luck!

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback Mono. I wish I'd waited a bit now before subbing to experiment with your feedback. I will anyway though as I do like to try out different things. If this doesn't get past the panel then I have some excellent feedback to go on in addition to the judges comments. I never would have thought in a million years I'd have my music defined as sexellent, so that's made my day haha

• 3 months later...

So... the judges got back to me (Hurrah). They really didn't seem as though they liked it haha but fair play. I got some helpful comments and direction in how to improve the arrangement. If you are interested here's the thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38092

In summary, the arrangement needed to move further from the original and could do with a bit more flow. Hopefully that has been remedied. The production was also just....well rubbish. The entire track has been overhauled so I can say that there definitely isn't too much reverb this time......hopefully.

(The odd moment of clipping seems to be a symptom of tindeck)

Remix: Link removed

Source:

I need to re-record some of the guitars as the performances are a bit sloppy but other than that I feel much happier with it. Feedback is very welcome. Even just to say "I enjoyed it" (or not) is fine by me but comments on the arrangement especially would be amazing :)

The original submission can still be listened to in the previous posts