djpretzel

Please note content of email for consideration during Lockdown - djp

Game: Ys 4

Original Song: Selseta Forest*

Remix Name: Autumn Tears

ReMixer: dj brilliant

URL of ReMix:

E-mail: naoki190_@hotmail.com

Comments: I apologize for the poor instrumentation; my resources as of right now are quite limited. Rather than holding this any further, however, I like to consider the choice of instrumentation rather stylistic, I find it does lend itself to a unique sound quality.

Also, I would like to also take this time to point out the fact that a remix of my remix is being hosted by OCRemix, in which permission was NOT granted to the remixer whether the use of my original remix was permitted. The remix under question is TerraTripmachine by JV, of the Final Fantasy 6 series.

Concerns given are listed in the comments of the song; there was one person who did recognize that it was originally my remix which I had previously submitted to VGMidi, which I suspect is where the MIDI was obtained and remixed by JV. My submission alias for the VGMidi competition was, however, Trip Machine, but I do not feel that simply titling the remix as "Tripmachine" gives proper due credit. I am just curious as to whether anything can be done to rectify this situation, namely giving me proper credit somehow as the "original remixer", or something along those lines. It would be appreciated if I could receive a reply as to the considerations of this request as well, whether it is plausible and changes will be made, or if nothing is to be done about it. Apologies in advance if this was not the apporopriate place to file this complaint, I just thought it to be less troublesome to bundle both subject matter of submission and complaint in one e-mail rather than inefficently using two. Thank you for your consideration and your time.

* Since it is a rather not well-known song, the original song is provided at ,

in case a base for comparison is needed.

- dj brilliant

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology.

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.

Thanks very much for the heads up on TerraTripMachine. It's definitely something we'll make sure to look into based on your information.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Ys4_psf2.rar - "Field" (PSX Version)

Decent ideas on the arrangement front, but the harmonized pianos were robotically sequenced and sparse-sounding. Very plodding track at the 2:35 mark as the composition retread itself. The harmonization had another layer of activity going on with the strings, but other than that, it was slim pickings on creativity here. Repeats at 3:19. Production was rather sloppy as many of the instruments mushed together. I liked the two pianos breaking the monotony of the previous repetitive material at 4:30, but they themselves were just a retread of the intro. Needlessly long, sparsely constructed, repetitive, and boring. That's what NOs are made of.

• 2 weeks later...

There are good arrangement ideas here, certainly an interesting take on the source. My main beef here, for a piano mix, everything sounds so robotic. From the timing, to the performance. It almost sounds like everything is being played using only 1 velocity. What this mix needs I think is conceptual and compositional tweaking. Focus on the intention of the mix, and work on evolving it.

Neat stuff, but I think it needs more work in the several areas mentioned.

NO

I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME!

0:43-0:56. I counted this section being repeated 8 times and this section in itself is really one thing repeated twice with a different ending the second time so that means one part of this is repeated 16 times.

Several other parts of the song were also copied and pasted throughout sometimes adding a simple yet heavily reverbed string part. The piano, as gray and liontamer said, sounds very mechanical which is made worse by the repetition because not only are the notes identical in each section but they sound EXACTLY THE SAME since there is no variation in timing, timbre or velocity.

Simplistic arrangement, way too much repetition and the robotic sounding performance make this a definite

NO

The piano is taking a lot away from what would be an interestingly mellow take on the source. With “limited resources” you might consider hiding the average quality of the piano sample by not allowing it to serve as the key exposed element in the mix. The higher piano notes especially sound plain when played alone, however when combined with the other instruments the piano quality is hardly distracting.

Sound quality aside, the repetition in the piano part is another factor that’s hurting this. Variation is a key to interesting music.

Keep working at it.

NO