*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'En-trancement Room'

djpretzel

Email sub file Storm Weaver _ Jibbin - En-trancement Room.mp3

Remixers Real Names: Pat & Jeff Chylinski

Remixing Aliases: Storm Weaver and Jibbin

Email: jibbin_and_storm_weaver@hotmail.com

UserID: 28776 (i think thats right)

Name of game ReMixed: Final Fantasy VIII (8)

Name of individual song ReMixed: Commencement Room Theme

Additional information about game: there was a remix of the same song recently added to your site.

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

This remix came about after pat listen to the original, finding that he liked it he taped it and played it on his keyboard over ... and over ... and over, driving me insane. Putting our heads together, we thought that we would be able to mix it into a whicked trance mix.

With pats ablitlies on the musical side and mine with picking faults and voices, we embarked on the journey to the final cut of En-trancement Room, the remix of the commencement room theme.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 405 "Compression of Time"

I'm generally gonna come down against generic sounding electronica. There was a modicum of work done to create some atmosphere to the track, but a lot of the synths were nonetheless a bit thin. Unlike most of the crappy trance style subs we get, the synths weren't too exposed. Still, some brief parts were too bare, like from 1:20-1:33. Really dislike VERY generic transitions like the overused cymbal shots and kicks from 1:27-1:33.

There were some decent arrangement ideas though, particularly the composition of the keyboard-driven sections, which I hope other Js agree with on some level, though I felt the arrangement still could have been more interpretive beyond transposing it to the trance genre and applying some rhythmic alterations. Some of the more interpretive ideas, were good, but the composition as a whole simply retread itself at 2:27, which was a hit against this since it was only 3:25.

Not sure it could be brought up to a passable level, honestly, but I wouldn't mind seeing you try for a resubmission, because I liked the potential here.

NO (resubmit)

Not the most trance friendly source but I like the way that the transition to 4/4 has been made. Although the source could have been used more creatively and with less repetition, I think the arrangement for the genre is passable.

The synths aren’t bad. They don’t stand out much but they get the job done. The ultra plain drums are killing me though. The sequencing is pretty generic, which isn’t all that bad, but the samples and their processing (or lack thereof) just come off as flat. Try layering your percussive elements to create richer more engaging sounds. Also try layering the main beat with another subtle groove. Even for this genre some background snare-play or hi-hat work could really spice up some of the more empty sections like 1:20-1:27 and 2:27-2:47. Check out the Remixing forum and Zircon’s Groovy Drums tutorial for some other tips to spice up your drums.

I like the dynamic bass on sections like 0:26-1:20. It’s got a lot more character than some simple standard sine wave bass. It gets a little muddy and disharmonious though at some points (1:00, 2:34,…).

Work on toning down the generic vibe and a lot of the potential of this track will be brought out.

NO

I don't mind generic when it's done well. But this is just very generic and very basic. Production is problematic as a whole. The whole mix is muddy and lacks shimmer. This needs EQ work to create more balance and more compression. Synths are generally lifeless, dull and uninspired - I'm afraid to say. There's not much sophistication going on as far as synth design, automation or effects processing. Decent arrangement, but I felt the mix was really sparse and the composition needed a lot of work.

Nothing really grossly wrong here, but it just results in average work for me. Needs a lot of work. Use the WIP boards at OCR to get more feedback.

NO