*NO* Star Fox 'Professor Hangar's Guitar'

djpretzel

email sub file Star Fox Prof. Hangar's Guitar OC ReMix.mp3

Hi.

I am new to OC Remix, as I have never submitted a remix before, but not new to the experience of listening to all the great remixers' work. Firstly, my name is Sean Fischer, and I go by the remixer name FraGmenTd. I have quite a bit of experience with sequencing and programming music, but am new to the subtleties of making good mastered mixes.

As I mentioned, I have not submitted a remix before, but I have one to start a chain of many that I hope to submit in the future. It's from the Star Fox (snes) Titania boss theme. I don't have a place to put the song, and then send a link, so I'll have to submit the song attached to this email. I hope this is not too much trouble. I look forward to feedback on this mix, and hopefully many more to come. Thank you for hearing me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/starfox.rsn - "Boss (Titania)" [sf-23.spc]

Yeah, I remember this source tune back from IMC4. Was definitely not feeling the sudden intro of rapid-fire hats, thumps and muddy-as-hell shredding that all burst into the picture at :22. Needlessly loud, cluttered, and messy mixing, IMO. A lesser man's ears would have been hurting pretty bad.

The compostion of the percussion break section from 1:13-1:29 was incredibly boring and killed much of the momentum in the attempt to create dynamic contrast. Decent genre adaptation, I suppose, since I did hear some rearrangement ideas particularly in the support work rather than the lead melody itself, but more interpretation of the source material would be beneficial. I thought the idea for the ending at 2:16 was pretty cool though.

You say you're not aware of the subtleties in making a well-mastered mix? Well, head over to the ReMixing forum and start reading eagerly. Good luck futhering your improvement, bro.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Chaotic, in a bad way. The drums/perc don't add to the music at all, they sound off, muddy and just ruin the whole mix. The whole mix sounds flooded with elements.

Arrangement and composition for the most part is very basic. I did enjoy the automated phaser/eq on the drum/perc but outside that there's not much to this. It's a simple arrangement and ultimately sounds incomplete from a concept point of view. In addition the problematic drums and production seriously weigh this down. NO

The Section from 1:14 to 1:35 is Hillarious! Sixteenth note high hats, kicks every quarter note and snares every other quarter note all heavily reverbed with a slow moving filter sweep in the second half. It's like being trapped inside of an evil drum machine. I could imagine a whole mix being developed around this claustrophobic feel... the same sort of drums but with fast moving ambient pads with 1/16th synced LFOs being cross panned against eachother. That would be crazy! But that's not what happened here. The rest of the mix is overly chaotic without any real cohesive elements to make sense of it all. Like Gray said this mix sounds flooded and is conceptually undeveloped. But you have inspired me so thanks for that :D

NO

Lack of clarity is a big issue here. In addition to the comments from the other judges I would work on cleaning up the guitar. The performance is not tight enough to fit nicely with the electronic elements. 1:36-1:52 stands out as obviously off but the other rhythm guitar sections (90% of the rest of the mix) aren’t much better. This fast paced power chord work can be difficult to nail so consider going behind your performance, slicing up the guitar track and making sure the chords fall on tempo. Essentially, manually ‘quantize’ your guitar.

Put more work into creatively arranging the source as well as cleaning up your sounds and your mixes will fare a lot better. Keep working at it.

NO