*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'A True Fight'

djpretzel

Contact Info

ReMixer name: Uboichi

e-mail: uubjacobson@quicknet.nl

ReMix info

ReMixed game: Final Fantasy VII

Original song: Still more fighting

I wanted to make an orchestral arrangement of Still More Fighting for quite some time now. I tried it once before, but back then I found I had a lack of musical knowledge to arrange it and even if I could make it, my computer wasn’t good enough to make a mp3 of it. Now, two years later, I just sat back on a lazy afternoon and made this arrangement. And if you are wondering why there’s a sax section in this “orchestra”, it’s because I’m used to saxophones in an orchestra. We had a whole section of ‘m as well.

P.S. If link doesn’t work in IE, try another browser. I tested the link with Firefox and it worked.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 120 "Still More Fighting"

Nah. Sounded like a MIDI grade orchestration effort, with some of the instrument parts possibly taken verbatim from a MIDI. No effort put into humanization of stuff like the strings, winds, and even that misplaced saxophone. The sound quality was way below the bar, and the arrangement took little creative liberty with the source beyond tranposing it to orchestral. Sorry, but bleh. Don't send lazy efforts like this in the future.

NO

Some pretty low quality samples and production here, unfortunately. You'd need one hell of an arrangement for something like this pass and this one just isn't up to the challenge. It's rather short, many of the sections are too close to the original, and the samples, aside from being low quality, are poorly used throughout.

NO

Some of the fuller sections towards the end have a decent sound to them. For the most part however, the low quality of the samples is bringing this one down. There’s also the matter of the sax in the middle of the orchestra which sounds a little out of place. It was good to hear some attention paid to dynamics with the build starting at 2:16 but much of the rest of the piece felt flat. Some soft cymbals, for example, might really add some expression to this mix.

The arrangement is very conservative and with the sound quality problems that the other judges and I mentioned, this can’t pass as a genre adaptation or an additive remix. Check out the WIP and ReMixing forums for some help with your future works. Good orchestral arrangements can be difficult to pull off so I think what’s needed here, even more so than better samples, is some quality practice time. Keep working at it.

NO

The intro volume needs to be above the "only subatomic quarks in a vaccuum can hear" level. And my compatriots are right in their criticisms. It sounds like a midi-rip, but with new queztuqatol-VII gigasamplez. Too much like the original, and yet, somehow more ragged than the original with samples that have not been tailored well to the song.

NO