*NO* Mega Man 2 'The Fury of Wily'

djpretzel

Email sub file The Fury of Wily (Drum n Bass Mix) OC Remix.mp3

Artist Name: Zero Apostle

Game Remixed:Megaman 2

Song Remixed: Wily's Castle Stage 1

I've always loved megaman music. I got the idea of remixing this one when I was in a music technology lab at school. A friend suggested it to me, and I immediately got started on ideas. I found out that the song is fast-paced enough to be a drum n bass remix. I'm very good when it comes to breakbeats/ Drum n Bass. All my remixes are electronic also. As soon as I finished, I was even suprised with the results.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman2.zip - Track 19

The intro until :22 fooled me into thinking that this approach would be different. Too loud, relies on drumloops for the dNb hawtness, and take no liberties with the melody whatsoever. The track was also cluttered mess and desperately needed some separation of sounds.

Cool for the MM2 fan who likes any mix from the game, but otherwise, you gotta be more. I didn't hate it, but from a standards and guidelines perspective, this "cover + drumloop" approach wasn't bringin' it. It does for "BigViolationWestBristol", but not for this.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Yay Drumloops!! Those ride cymbals are really monopolizing the aural spectrum and there are only two distinct drum patterns in the entire song.

I play pulsewidth modulating bass in attack mode! Your analog sounds are simplistic and worse the only depth of timbre comes from envelopes that are all exactly the same length. Write your own drums, work on the complexity of your sounds and do more to interpret the source. You'd be in much better shape if you did. For what it's worth I enjoyed the energetic nature of the mix.

NO

The drumloops themselves are good but in the context of this mix they are very generic, they overpower the leads and are not well integrated with the rest of the elements. Using a limited number of loops is fine but you have to work with them. Slice them up, switch them around, creatively mix and process them; don’t let them sound like simple loops. Variety my friend, variety.

Not really that bad but could be much better.

NO